Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

diy muffler

isetta

Am considering building a stainless steel muffler for Powermax. I sketched up what I thought it might look like inside. Anybody cut one open and know what the inside structure really looks like on these?

muffler-layout.jpg

muffler-layout.jpg.d19f51814c30253ab4e99035aed93a73.jpg

• Like 1

From what have seen in muffler designs that won't do a lot of exhaust silencing. If you add a couple of more chambers along with another perforated tube, it will help skatter the exhaust pulses and drive them in the full can. It will help increase the exhaust back pressue which helps alot bringing done exhaust noise.

When I made my Honda muffler. I copied the original. The two inlets will need pipes going to the center tube. The outlet pipe you don`t want connected to center pipe. Atleast that is how my Honda and Briggs 16hp muffler were when taken apart. The Honda had a center baffle as well.

Fill the whole thing with steel wool? Seem like it would get very hot, but who knows.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. Ray what you are saying is the inlet tubes connect to the center tube, the center tube is perforated and the outlet tube is connected to the outside casing. Like this:

Muffler_layout2.jpg

Muffler_layout2.jpg.1f533266819e3d490dcb8d598eaef69a.jpg

The outlet tube on mine is inside a couple of inches and has holes as well. They even block off the entrance of the outlet and use a bunch of little holes. I did mine a couple of years ago and a search of Honda muffler in show and tell forum may show pictures. Not sure how many pictures I posted or just the end result.

Are you doing a repower or using the Onan? If using the Onan and you want stainless or your Onan muffler is rotted beyond repair. Go to a muffler shop and buy the right diameter and transfer the guts into the new tube. That is what I did.

• Like 1

quote:Originally posted by RayS

The outlet tube on mine is inside a couple of inches and has holes as well. They even block off the entrance of the outlet and use a bunch of little holes. I did mine a couple of years ago and a search of Honda muffler in show and tell forum may show pictures. Not sure how many pictures I posted or just the end result.Are you doing a repower or using the Onan? If using the Onan and you want stainless or your Onan muffler is rotted beyond repair. Go to a muffler shop and buy the right diameter and transfer the guts into the new tube. That is what I did.

id="quote">
id="quote">thanks Ray, thats sounds like a great strategy for the old Onan. We dragged home a nice 9020 earlier this summer and for reasons the PO didn't know, it had no muffler so am considering building one for the CCKB. The neighbors are really happy when I fire her up! :D

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

I thought many had chambers as well to cancel out the noise?

id="quote">
id="quote">Yep, think you are right, that means more thought. Looks like PhanDads link to the plans will work nicely and the way that one is built might be a factory type layout.

No hood and no muffler. The mechanical fuel pump had a pencil lead in one of the valves from a broke off pencil that was used to plug the fuel line. Runs like a champ now and is a very late model.

powermax honesdale pa.jpg

57e05eec6cd04_powermaxhonesdalepa.jpg.61cd041a63e0701e458d4f7687f4b20c.jpg

I would stay away from SS. I made a muffler with Stainless Steel the unit could not give off the heat fast enough and it glowed cherry red after about 15 mins of run time.

I know a lean fuel mixture will cause red-hot mufflers too...dont know if that was the case?

I would think thin enough SS would give off almost as much heat as same thickness steel... good luck, looks interesting sm01

• 6 years later...

Hello, Wow 8 years and my muffler build still gets interest  ! The muffler still works well . I also built one for the Predator 22 hp repower , The predator mufler is huge and doesn't fit well under the hoods of my sovereigns.

Thanks Ken in Mi

IMG_1881.JPG.3c40634d8a519d23903a6a0fbf83e233.jpg

• Like 2