Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Building a mid mount cultivator

DaveTenney

I am starting the planning phase of building a mid mount cultivator for my Big 10. I've looked for one for two years now, and it's time to take matters into my own hands.

I do have a few questions...

Does anyone have measurements for an original?

Where can I get the cultivators and mounts? It would be cool to have original ones like my rear cultivator, but I'm not opposed to changing the design to use modern ones.

Thanks,

Dave

Another member has a rear cultivator that is apart that he is willing to sell. Hopefully this will be my starting point.

The wife and I hand hoed out 8 100' rows of sweet corn this summer. It is too hard to set the rear cultivator close enough without wiping out half the corn.

I'll be posting back as I get further in to the project...Thanks for the offer for help Josh - don't be surprised if I take you up on it!

Dave

Another member has a rear cultivator that is apart that he is willing to sell. Hopefully this will be my starting point.

The wife and I hand hoed out 8 100' rows of sweet corn this summer. It is too hard to set the rear cultivator close enough without wiping out half the corn.

I'll be posting back as I get further in to the project...Thanks for the offer for help Josh - don't be surprised if I take you up on it!

Dave

I saw a couple of those complete cultivator sets sell at the Berryville VA

tractor show auction in July.How much are they worth? I have a couple of the under belly units and a several of the rear cultivators.

On the matter of sweet corn cultivation I plant the rows wide enough to go between them with my AC 712 and 36" tiller much better than using a regular shank cultivator as it only desturbs the top 2 or 3 inches of soil and gets all the weeds.

quote:Originally posted by acfarmer

On the matter of sweet corn cultivation I plant the rows wide enough to go between them with my AC 712 and 36" tiller much better than using a regular shank cultivator as it only desturbs the top 2 or 3 inches of soil and gets all the weeds.

id="quote">
id="quote">That's what I do-----works well. I also (after the corn is 4-5" tall) pull a disk through the rows and hill up the corn. That helps prevent blow down in the event of a storm and also covers some of the weeds in the row.

I'm not sure what these things go for, because I've never seen one for sale! I would guess $150 would be a fair price though if I had one in front of me.

I plant my corn 36" apart. I try to get in 8-10 100' rows, and at that spacing the corn chokes the weeds out after it gets 3' or so tall.

The rest of my garden I plant in rows 60" apart and by mid July I can't get my Landlord with the 36" tiller through some of the rows (That is if the season is cooperating)

To be honest with you guys, I'm not sure why I even put in such a huge garden. This year we canned over 300 qts of stuff, and put up 30 qts of corn in the freezer. I easily gave away 80 dozen ears of corn.

But i do enjoy it...and using these tractors for what they were made to do!

Dave

Try planting the corn on 42" centers. That's what I use and it works great with the 36" tiller. When corn is small, I may make two passes per row and when taller, just one pass. The 42" works good with the disk also.