Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Man am I frustrated...A whole lot of nothing!!

fishnwiz

Bought a real nice 4212 to resale...tractor would start sometimes. Today put a spark indicator on it....NO spark. Pulled black wire and started right up. Replaced black wire and motor stopped. Now I get back on it and mess with the key a little and switch is feeling messed up. Pulled old switch replaced with working switch...NOTHING.meaning NO turnover of the engine. I do hear the breaker click on and then off again under the seat. Jumped PTO and neutral safety switch and seat switch...NOTHING....tried jumping with new battery...NOTHING....replaced breaker and selonoid....NOTHING...still clicking of breaker. Checked all grounds..cleaned surfaces...NOTHING. Replaced complete wire harness from selonoid back to starter...NOTHING! Jumped starter...turns over.

Any ideas on what I am missing? everything has been jumped and replaced and still no turnover of engine. I even put the old starter switch back in and still single click of breaker and NOTHING.

You only have four wires that affect engine , 4 ga black starter wire, black ground wire for ignition, red wire for batt chg and white? for headights. Disconnect all four and I'll bet circuit breaker still clicks away. That tells ne that you have a bare wire grounding downsde of the breaker. Pull the non powered wire off the breaker and see if the clicking stops. If it does, you have to chase that down for a rubbing wire.

Does it have a round safety module ?

Jolson I think the seat has two switches in it

One makes ground when not in seat

The other completes the start circuit

This was the case on my sun runner which I believe is based on the 4212

Mark,

Easiest way to eliminate the "nanny" switches, is to remove the yellow and green connection to the solenoid, and run a wire from that terminal to ground. That eliminates the switches and the I/C module (to the rear of the solenoid. Overall the wiring on the 4200s is "spooky" at best.{}{}{}

Wayne

The selonoid I have does have a black wire to ground.

After changing out the complete wire harness and everything in between I am still at a loss .Same symptoms. Its possible that one of the components I replaced is also bad but they were all removed from a running 4212 tractors:(!

It looks like I have a few different type 5 post switches none of which are marked at all with part numbers...3 brand new ones and none worked on this setup. Also had a few others that came off of running 4212's.After having a small BS session with BLT last night...the mutual feeling is that the problem is most likely at the switch.

You are right Willy...all of this jumping around with replacing everything narrows it down to nothing.