Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas Pouring From Carb

Steve72

Hi Guys..my daughter (TractorChick) has gas leaking from 3 different places/ports/screws at the bottom of her carb on her B10. It has the 16 HP that has is in good shape and not given her any problems. It wouldn't start yesterday and she noticed gas dripping from 3 places at the bottom of the carb.

She wants to take the bowl off and check the float and any valves. Is there a good video or thread that would guide her through this?

Wish she lived closer---so I could help but...alas.

Steve that's a hard desicion. That carb is easy to clean/rebuild/adjust if its off the engine, the float & needle valve "stay put" during assembly if the carb is upside down. but then she'll have the linkages, pcv hose & line to reconnect which is a pain sometimes. If she drops just the bowl then the float/needle drops during assy...? Good luck

I would say try just the bowl 1st, maybe some crud stuck in the needle valve causing the bowl to overflow and leaks from the bottom of the carb/choke housing sm01

Thanks Greg and Mike! I passed on your suggestions to her and we had the discussion about not working in the yard--or at least put something under it so when the parts fall out she won't lose them!

Sometimes with a light tap with a small hammer jars the needle loose and it lets the float do its thing. I know it is only a temporary, but might do the a fix until you can get at it. It has worked for me.

Take Dan's advise as gospel. The tube MUST be removed to get the bowl off. You need a quality screw driver, such as a gunsmith would use, which fits the slot tightly. The tube is brass and can be deformed easily. I clamp the carb in a sturdy vise and bear down with all I've got. I have ruined a couple over the years by using a standard tapered blade driver. I ground a good screw driver to fit the slot and it works better.

I forgot the tube :o sorry

I actually made a customized screwdriver on the grinder, to fit the slotted end of the tube exactly...I've stripped more than 1 with loose/poor fitting screwdrivers ngr2

Steve:

I think, but am not positive, that the Briggs vintage engine manual has instructions for inspecting/adjusting the flo-jet carb. I've got a copy saved on my computer, and will e-mail it to you tomorrow when I get to my office (didn't bring the computer home tonight).

Thanks everyone!! Sounds like she would do better to remove it from the engine before messing with it---to get it in a better position to work on. I will let her know about the custom screwdriver also. I am hoping she just let's it set a couple of weeks until I can get down to her house to help--but she uses the B10 every day on her little 10 acre farm...

Thanks guys! I think I am thoroughly frightened now. Might let my baby rest until the professionals can teach my my way through the first time.

I do like the hammer solution, though ... ;)

If your tractor is running well, just put on an inline fuel shutoff, from briggs, under $10 and no disassembly required, vise grips close the line above the area you want to put it, then cut the line, let a few drops come out then put the hose clamps on the lines and plug in the shutoff, tighten clamps and you will not have dripping out the bowl any longer.