Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Gordan

Update on LPG engine

Gordan

Summary: Agco Allis 918H repowered with a 627cc Vanguard LPG engine.

The 20 lb cylinder started out with 15 lbs of propane in it (that's just how they do it at the cylinder exchange places, not going back to those again) and, after about 2.5 hours of mowing, has 6 lbs left in it. So, extrapolating from my current consumption, I should be able to get 5.5 hours, or about eight to ten mowings, out of 20 lbs (a bit over 4 gallons) of propane. That ain't too bad, especially considering that I was running rich for some of that time.

Another nice thing is that I can engage the mowing deck at idle, it won't stall and recovers very quickly.

The not-so-nice thing is that what I thought was odorant smell coming from the exhaust was actually a small diaphragm or seal leak on a brand new LP negative regulator; I could smell the odorant at the atmosphere ports. It's going back for a replacement.

Talntedmrgreen

I've always been interested in LP setups. We had a few LP floor sanding units about 10 years ago at my last job. I was impressed. Odorless indoors, and they used very little fuel.

I have that same Vanguard running on 87 octane in my golf cart. I found it to be a gas-sipper, even with mods, but that LP sounds far more efficient. I wonder how that setup would work in my cart? I have ample room for a tank...maybe 2!

I'm going to have to look for your post on how you set it up. You have me pretty curious. Where did you end up putting your tank?

Gordan

Josh, this engine came from Briggs set up for LP, with a gaseous fuel mixer rather than a carb. Ideally, a propane engine would have higher compression and more aggressive timing than a gasoline equivalent, but I don't know whether Briggs did any of those changes with this one. What I do know is that propane is apparently not that desirable, since I got this for a quarter to a third of what the gasoline version of the same engine would have cost. It didn't come with any regulators or fuel lockoffs; I went with a combination of a dual-stage "high capacity grill" regulator and a Garretson KN demand regulator. I've since wondered whether I should have gone with a Beam T60, which combines these functions and a vacuum fuel lockoff for a tad more money. You can see where I put the tank at this thread: http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=130109 .

I made an error above; 20 lbs of propane is about 4.7 gallons.