Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Concerned with "Hitch" in Giddyup?

fishnwiz

I have a 5216 SPECIAL mower that I purchased a few weeks back. This is a 5 speed model and I noticed that there seems to be a slight HITCH...pause or surge in 5th gear on this tractor. The pattern of the hitch is 3 seconds...then 5 seconds then nothing for then a few seconds later it will hitch or surge again random surges with NO set pattern? I do NOT notice the pause in any other gear and it is NOT related to engine RPM. Anyone know anything about this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks guys. I am having one of "THOSE WEEKS" with my purchasessm00

My 4211 acts very similar in 3rd and 4th, I just wiggle the shift lever a little and it'l go away, kinda like it gets caught half in and out of gear at the same time if that makes any sense. I attribute mine to being worn out, but it still mows fine.

Thanks...I will have to try the Wiggle trick and see if that helps :)

I did have a questionable idler pulley but I replaced that and problem is still there. I would not be cutting in 5th gear anyways.

Does a 5216 have the pearless transaxle like the 5116 special. I rebuilt mine twice trying to get rid of the same issue but could never find the actual problem. Mine got to the point where it sounded like grinding teeth once in a while though.

Wow...That's not good news. Its a flipping tractor anyways but I don't want someone calling me a few months after the sale to whine! So far NO noise at all. Other gears are good so far.

I have a 5 speed peerless in my 4212, and it can be temperamental at times. Zippovarga suggested that I add a small hole in the case and add a few ounces of good marine grease to the case, since the lube put in by the manufacturer congeals after several years in use. I have yet to implement his advice.

Wayne

That's what it seems to me has happened...after sitting for a long time in one place, there is a lube or lack of lube issue. I am a little shy on drilling a hole in the case but Zipp does know his stuff!