Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My new push mower

huffy

I went to a co-worker's house for a dinner party tonight. I noticed a nearly new pushmower sitting out by his trash cans. He said he bought it at the beginning of last summer (2012), but started having problems with it last weekend. I asked if he wanted me to take a look at it. He said no, he was just going to buy a new one.

Much to my girlfriend's embarassment I loaded it up in the trunk of the car when we left. When I got home I put fresh gas in it and it started on the first pull. The only problem was that it would run fine for a few seconds, then bog down for a second, then run fine for a second, etc, etc, etc. I pulled the air cleaner out, and it was caked in filth. I washed it out, dried it, re-oiled it, and put it back in and now the mower runs fine.

Never was too proud to dumpster dive myself! Once a picker, always a picker! If someone wants to toss money out, I will gladly pick it up! Great job!

Nothing wrong with dump pickin'. Every Sunday night I would be on the lookout for window air conditioners and dehuminfirers. Most of the time the fan motor of each needed to be freed up, clean the condensor fins and an given some WD40 . Then it was a bullet valve for a buck to tap into low side and give it enough freon to run steady. Then I sold them for $50. My two offspring were equipped with hand me downs until they could afford to go on their own. I kind of got into to mower repair the same way.

So yesterday afternoon my GF stops over and sees me using the push mower. She asked how I fixed it and I explained how all I had to do was clean the air filter. She said I have to tell my co-worker that's all it needed and give it back. I said, no, I offered to look at it before he gave it to me, and he said no because he just wanted a new one. She got all mad and demanded that I give it back.

I'm kind of sad that I've got to get rid of that one. Not the best I've ever had, but she was a decent cook.

:D:D

Nice job on the mower, This is a throw away world. Many would rather discard something rather than read a manual and fix it.

as my Dad said: "There are those that DO things themselves, and those that pay us to DO it for them":D

I've gotten rid of things after trying many times to get them working properly. Sometimes the aggravation far outweighs the monetary loss. I had a $400 self-propelled, electric start push mower like that. I think it was a Stanley with a Tecumseh engine. Bought it so the wife could turn the key, engage the clutch and walk along behind the little hummer. Right? Wrong... Exceptionally hard starting, usually wouldn't start at all. It had an automatic choke, which I think was the root issue. Wife never cut grass with it once. After a year or two of fussing, cleaning, adjusting, I put it out for junk (it looked really nice) It was gone in a flash, haven't seen it since, good riddance, good bye, thank God and greyhound it's gone.

My roots in the power equipment industry date back to sometime in the late 1990's. A couple houses down there was a Snapper self-propelled mower pushed out to the trash. Brought it home and Dad had it running before long. We started buying Snapper mowers at yard sales, dealer trade ins, etc and used them to mow some of the neighbors yards. I still have boxes of used Snapper parts and there are still six Snapper 21" mowers in Dad's shed. The garden tractor addiction was a natural progression.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Tarheel
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts