Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grader Blade VS. Front Plow Blade?

pungo

I used a 46 inch trip blade (front) to level out my driveway which had a bad center hump full of grass. At times I either placed a weight on the front mount(a chunk of railroad rail) or locked in the manual lift arm so it would scrape deep(a dramatic effort as the front reared up at times).

I have found a Simplicity Grader Blade at a good price and I am wondering if it could do any better should I buy it. It weighs 60 pounds, has no secondary face blade like the Dozer and no obvious way to add downward weight.

Does the belly Central location of the grader blade make it more effective? Perhaps the angle of the blade as well as the thickness?

Do any of my friends here use a grader blade on a regular basis?

The belly mount grader gives much better control, is about 4 times as thick as the front blade. You will likely not live long enough to completely wear one out.

As for more weight, you can put your feet on the belly blade for down pressure.

there is no comparison, you grade with a belly blade, you will never try to grade with a front blade again

I use the grader blade on my fdt all the time for leveling the gravel drive that goes to the back of my property. You use your feet for down pressure. It's much better for leveling than a plow blade or back blade, imo. The amount of down pressure you'll have will depend on what you weigh, but will likely be more than the railroad iron you had on the plow. If you need more weight, go to McD's more often.. I only use the plow blade for snow; aside from that I find it pretty much useless.

Grader blades are cool! I've got one for a Wheelhorse and have used it to level dirt and gravel. If your ground is hard, you might not have any more luck than you are having with your front blade. Not sure you can put down pressure with the Simplicity tractors, but the Wheelhorse can use a solid link for down pressure.

A couple of thoughts:

I've thought about making some bolt-on ends for my grader blade - to box it in. That way when I am grading gravel, it all stays in/on the grader blade and fills-in any low places vs rolling out the side.

My grader blade does a beautiful job vs the front blade.

Good luck,

Bill

I just tried my 46" spring trip to move some dirt the other day- virtually useless. It really only worked backing up.

I be lookin for a grader blade myself.

I have used a 42 inch front blade, grader blade, and a Dutch grader blade. I never really got the hang of using the front blade; but when I found the Dutch blade (thanks Dan) I jumped on it.

A grader blade is fair superior to the front blade. Standing on the blade can add enough down pressure to stall the tractor in soft gravel / stone.

If I had a choice to what kind of blade to purchase

1. Dutch Grader Blade

2. Simplicity Grader Blade

3 42 inch front Blade

Rick.......

quote:Originally posted by RickS

If I had a choice to what kind of blade to purchase 1. Dutch Grader Blade2. Simplicity Grader Blade3 42 inch front BladeRick.......

id="quote">
id="quote">I could not agree more....anytime you have a chance to grab a Dutch blade, you grab it. It will loosen compacted stuff much better than oem, and can be flipped to operate identically as oem. Since laying down smooth trails in the woods with mine, I now use it very lightly as a sort of rake for leaves and sticks..

Allen,

A Dutch Grader blade is a grader blade made by an old member here. Dutch had someone create a grader blade with a smooth edge on one side and teeth on the other side. Most users of the Dutch blade use the side with the teeth since the teeth cut into the ground and help break it up.

Besides the teeth on the blade there is no difference between the Simplicity Grader Blade and the Dutch Grader blade.

Rick........

AHA. thanks. I am assuming that standing on the blade for weight would be more difficult if you don't have a foot-dragger type of tractor. You would need to be a bow-legged cowboy.C|: