Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spring Trip plow blade vs. regular plow blade

sb64

I am going to be buying a plow blade for my 64' landlord soon, and the guy that's selling them has a spring trip plow blade and the regular blade. My question is, how easy does the spring trip blade "trip"? Is there a big difference?

He's asking $150 for the spring trip and $75 for the regular.

I'd say go for the spring trip blade. IMHO the benefits far outweigh the $75.00 savings. It will last longer, not tear things up that you didn't see under the snow and will make for a lot better plowing experience. The wear blade at the bottom won't get torn up as much either. I think they are safer also. It takes a lot to trip it. The springs are pretty stout on them. I had an old blade that came with the Mutt that was a rigged deal on a cut up blade hitch that actually caught so hard on something that before I knew it the blade had flipped under the tractor and the front wheels were off the ground. I shudder to think what would have happened if my foot had been in between the tractor frame and that blade! If it's in decent shape and includes the hitch, I don't think $150 for a spring trip blade is a bad deal.

46....a 42 only beats a 46 in dirt, but even then, you are working too hard in dirt if using a dozer over a grader. A 42 is nice if nothing else is available....beats a shovel and thats about it. Thats why they are so cheap! $75 is way too much for one IMO and I wouldnt give away a 46" trip for a penny under $150.

I like the 46" blades on the RBTs but not for FDTs. The excess weight puts a lot of stress on the front axle when turning and has a tendency to work the two (inaccessible) bolts loose which hold the axle pivot angle iron in place under the frame. Had this happen on my B-110 and B-12.

The 46" blade can be canted to use for back dragging. I had the opportunity to measure the weight (when mounted) exerted on the blade edge at 84#. I currently have it mounted on my 4212LTG, using the adapter bracket from my 42" dozer blade.

Wayne

If we are talking about pushing snow, the 46" is the answer. If you are talking about pushing dirt, I like the 42". And even at that, these tractors struggle to push dirt unless it is already loose (such as tilled soil or loose gravel) material. These tractors are not Caterpillars. At least with the 42" you have a better ability to push, and the blade won't fold over. I think pushing dirt, or trying to by "ramming" into the material is probably the hardest thing on these tractors. IMO

Yep Brett, right as always. I usually put the tiller on the back, the blade on the front. I used a chain with 2 hooks to hold up the attachment I did not need. A little with the tiller, a little with the blade. I would do this until completed then back blade everything...

quote:Originally posted by tadams

The spring blade is a easer on the belly when you hit something under the snow, not talking about the rest of the body.Tom:D

id="quote">
id="quote">Ditto! Ive found far, far less wear and loose axle mount bolts when using a 46" for long periods of time, versus a 42". With regular snow removal using a 42, its almost a garantee that things will loosen and wear. The spring trip takes the brunt of any impacts like when catching a crack, ice edge, or frozen turf.A 42 does work great on those rare days when you can really roll previously rock hard compacted snow or ice....kinda like trying to push dirt.