Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord Axle Tube

MrSteele

Am I correct in the assumption that the transmission has to come apart to replace an axle tube? Down here in Alabama, most folks haven't even heard of a Simplicity, let alone have an old one sitting around looking for a new owner, so a spare transmission is not an easy find.

Mine sheared just beyond the grease fitting, even lost a chunk of metal at an old crack.

Are new tubes still available for a 64 Landlord, or am I going to have to make one? I hesitate to use used parts, because of unknown conditions. I'll give Sandy Lake a call on Monday. If I have to break the case, there will be new bearings, seals, and of course, the tube. And I planned to take the tractor to a show the first weekend in October. Will have to load up older toys, I suppose.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance

You have to split the case but you can leave the left side on the tractor and only take off the right side. Use some axle grease when you assemble the tube so everything stays in place as you slide it back onto the left side of the transaxle case.

I have the tractor manual. Looks to be about 12 or so needle bearings, haven't counted the seals. The tractor will be 50 next year, thinking I will give it a 49th birthday present and replace all the bearings and seals, at least. Will have to look at gears, too, as well as shafts. I'll rebuild the transmission to like new, then 49 years from now, my grandson will have a toy to play with.

I have the tractor manual. Looks to be about 12 or so needle bearings, haven't counted the seals. The tractor will be 50 next year, thinking I will give it a 49th birthday present and replace all the bearings and seals, at least. Will have to look at gears, too, as well as shafts. I'll rebuild the transmission to like new, then 49 years from now, my grandson will have a toy to play with.

I have a 64 landlord model 990314. My trans leaks gear oil bad & when in gear engine off or with the brake on I can rock the rear wheels back & forth about 4 to 6 inches. I think the keyways may be wallered out & maybe some worn bearings too. This winter I may attempt to rebuild the trans also. Jackssmallengines.com seems to have a good selection of parts. It looks like they have the new axle & bushing inside it, but it's pricey.Simplicity 2164222SM TUBE BUSHINGS ASMY Price: $193.00 . Here's the link.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Manufacturer/simplicity/3749/3649

Here's another good post by JoggerFogger

Tractor Discussions Talking Tractors Forum:

Differential Slack

Created by JoggerFogger on 01/06/2013 Last post on 02/04/2013 by JoggerFogger

Hope this helps & good luck.:)

Tim

I have always had great luck with Sandy Lake Tractors. They are sponsors here, too. Call and talk to Brenda. She is going to send me a price breakdown for what I asked about, also whether the bearings she has are Chinese made. If they are, I'll buy local at Motion Industries, get Fafnir, SKF, Timken or equal, pay more, but know what I have when I get them.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, my parts are here. I have started tearing it down. I bought new bearings, seals, the gasket and snap rings, along with the tube. Ran about $300, will get it exact if anyone interested, from Sandy Lake.

The question. Am I supposed to have to disassemble the differential to get its hub off the broken tube? The parts manual looks as though it is that way. I have pulled the outer hub. The differential will slide about 1/8" each way, then stops...hard. The differential shouldn't be a big job to tear down, but if I can save that time, I would like to

Well, I answered that one myself. That spring clip is almost impossible to remove with the differential on, so I removed it. I finally got the case in two pieces a little while ago. Those of you getting ready for a similar job, will need a grinder, impact wrench helps but not necessary, hammers in several sizes, blocks in several lengths of hardwood, prybars in several varieties, and a manual showing you where the parts that come out before you were ready, so you can put them back in the right place. Other than the learning curve of knowing how much of the broken tube to grind off so the case will come apart, it is a fairly simple operation. Even if I had another 40 year old(50 next year) tranny, I'd likely do the same as I am in the process of doing right now. When it is back together, it will have new bearings. The gears and shafts look as if they were installed yesterday; all new seals, and I am going to purchase the rest of the needle bearings for the ends of the shafts. I was considering putting it back together for a show this weekend, but the rest of the bearings won't be here by then. The tranny has a howl, anyway, it won't when put back together.