Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Unlimited slip differential on 7119

JohnFornaro

Well, got the Sovereign back to work.

Have been using the 7119, with the Wright Way loader on the Al Eden frame, to load compost into the cart, for spreading over the newly sown grass seed.

Most of the yard done. Yesterday, the tractor stopped moving. Lifting the seat, you can see the right rear axle moving, but no traction. Plenty of transmission fluid; it actually squirted out of the filler tube. I think this is because I fill it from the top.

Power steering still works well, so it's not that the pump is broken. The forward/rear linkage moves the tranny arm in what I recall to be the correct forward and backward states, but I'm not completely sure. The belt from the BGB doesn't appear to be slipping, but I will check that later today to be sure.

Any ideas? A link or PDF of the Sunstrand tranny and differential?

Muchas gracias in advance.

John,

Sounds like a broken diff if you can see axle movement but it's not being transferred to the tires. If the axle collar that is on the far outside of the axel has come loose, allowing the differential to separate, that can be the cause too. That would be the lucky break.

Brett:

There seems to be about a 1/2" gap between something and something on the right rear wheel. I can see shiny metal on what I believe is the axle, as if it had once been inside the bearing or something. I'll be taking off the wheel later today, to have a look at that area, and maybe post a picture.

If it's a "lucky" break, what do I need to do next?

If it's the "lucky break" you will need to push the hub back into the differential, push the collar tight, and reset the set screws. The collar is on the differential side. It should be about flush with the end of the axle. It holds all the parts together. If that comes loose, there is a gear that fits into the differential from both the transmission side, and the outer axle side. The outer axle side can come away from the differential if the collar is loose, and disengage from the differential planetary gears. The axle tube will still spin, but the differential has nothing to work against, so it is like being in neutral. Sort of like when you get stuck and one tire spins and the other does not. The disengaged wheel on the differential side is like the spinning tire.

Jack the rear wheels off the ground. Push the right side wheel toward the left till all the clearance is gone. You may have to rock it to get the gears to re-engage. Once you have pushed it as far as possible to the left, then loosen the set screw on the axle collar behind the left wheel. Push the collar to the right till it hits the tranny housing and tighten the set screw again. It should then be ready to go back to work, if the differential gears were not damaged from running with this clearance in the system.

Also try to get the set screws back in the exact same place they were at the factory... you will see bite marks in the axle, you want to get them back in those same spots so they stay put.

Thanks guys:

I jacked up the right rear wheel, spun it slightly, and it got back into gear, and snugged up to the housing properly. I was able to back into the camo shed successfully, level trip of about fifteen feet from where the tractor pooped out. Will remove wheel, and check those set screws sometime during the week.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I've been late in thanking you all, but that's exactly what the problem was. Also, there's a possibility that the rotating hub ring, over time, lossensthe set screws. I need to get to Lowe's or something to convert to hex headed set screws.

Again, many thanks.