Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Too rich for my carb

fishnwiz

Having issues with the carb on my 12 hp briggs. Can't seem to get the carb to run lean enough. I have the needle valve adjusted all the way in and the engine seems to just start running correctly when the needle bottoms out.Tried adjusting high speed needle and still can't get the engine to run smooth. New gaskets and rebuild carb has me frustrated. Any ideas?

I had a kohler carb like that awhile back, just couldn't get it adjusted right. Put two rebuild kits in it and it still wouldn't adjust right so I sent it to a guy that builds pulling tractors and specializes in kohler carbs. He rebuilt it and it acted just the same, took it off and threw it in a box on the bench and put another used carb from another tractor and runs perfect, go figure. It's not often that I just give up on something like that, usually given enough time and money I can fix it or make it so no one else and fix it either.

I had a kohler carb like that awhile back, just couldn't get it adjusted right. Put two rebuild kits in it and it still wouldn't adjust right so I sent it to a guy that builds pulling tractors and specializes in kohler carbs. He rebuilt it and it acted just the same, took it off and threw it in a box on the bench and put another used carb from another tractor and runs perfect, go figure. It's not often that I just give up on something like that, usually given enough time and money I can fix it or make it so no one else and fix it either.

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

I myself enjoy a challenge but when it gets to the point of frustration I draw the line. :D

id="quote">
id="quote">That's what make's it fun, if it was easy anyone could do it.:o):D

Maybe an issue with mismatched needle/seat?

It's my understanding that some newer rebuild kits have rubber tipped needles vs the old all metal needles. Maybe the seat has to be matched to the type of needle?

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

Maybe an issue with mismatched needle/seat? It's my understanding that some newer rebuild kits have rubber tipped needles vs the old all metal needles. Maybe the seat has to be matched to the type of needle?

id="quote">
id="quote">You need to match the rubber tipped needle with the metal seat. Some seats were neoprene and used a solid needle.