Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign Type Tractor Gear Drive Speeds???

leeave96

Anyone know what the specific speeds (MPH) were for the Sovereign type framed Simplicity tractors were? I gather when I see a 6 speed, I'm looking at a 3 speed + reverse, with hi-lo to make for the 6 speed label.

Did Simplicity make their own gear drive tranny or did they source it from someone else? Are the gear drive Simplicity tractors stout enough to handle a moldboard plow?

Thanks!

Bill

Assuming Simplicity and AC 6 speeds (7100,900 series) are the same, the speed range is 0.7 to 6.1 mph. I got this info from this page:

http://www.simpletractors.com/models/900_series/900_tractor_specs.htm

Don't know if Simplicity made the trannys. Moldboard plows were sold as options so the tranny's must be strong enough. I've also seen many pics of "plow days" with all types of Simplicity/AC tractors. So there isn't an issue.

Great info - thanks!!!!!!!!

Reason I'm asking is I've got a couple of other color old iron tractors with gear drive, a Wheelhorse 314-8 and a IH Cub Cadet 126. In my neck of the woods, there are a lot of hills, dips and much uneven terrain with obsticles to mow around or avoid. 2nd gear on the Wheelhorse is 3.3 MPH. It is fast for trimming, but a tad slow when you have a straight stretch. The Cub Cadet's 2nd gear speed is 3.9 MPH and is very FAST! Got to be careful on that one - LOL. The later series Cub Cadet wide frame tractor model 128 had a reduced 2nd gear speed of 3.5 MPH and I thought that might be a good compromise. The Simplicity gear drive looks like it's 3.7 MPH. Might be a little fast yet, but still I'd like to try one. I see a gear drive come up for sale from time to time.

Thanks again for the info!

Bill