Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dave-Saratoga

Briggs engine problems

Dave-Saratoga

Ok, so its been a while since I've posted, but life can do that to you. I really should now be Dave-Syracuse as I no longer live in Saratoga, but I digress.

So last year I moved here into an apartment and put the AC B-10 (with 16 hp briggs installed) in storage (with ethanol gas in the tank btw - I know----). This spring I moved into a house and wanted to use the tractor to do the lawn. I got it out of storage and was surprised that it ran so well. I had anticipated that the sitting would have caused damage to the carb.

So everything went fine for 3 or 4 mowings and then the trouble started. The engine would run fine until it reached operating temperature and then it started misfiring, backfiring, stalling out and in general running like sh**. The interesting thing was it was during mowing, with the deck engaged. If I took the load of the deck off the engine, performance seemed to improve. This continued all summer, with me forcing the tractor to mow the lawn - it was embarrasing. Finally, i gave up and did the lawn with a push mower.

So I went to the local briggs dealer - who it turned out was a di** not giving me any tips at all as to what it could be just saying i need to see it to tell you whats wrong. I said I dont have a way to get it here - i drive a Honda Civic. He said we can pick it up for $40. I literally live 1.5 miles from the shop.

Determined that it was the carb causing the problem, I bought a new carb. I installed it Friday and it turned right over and seemed to be running fine - right up until I engaged the deck and the same symptoms began again.

Guys, I don't have an idea what this could be. This engine was completely overhauled - cylinder rebored, new springs & valves etc about 8 yrs ago. It saw limited use over that time and actually sat all last year.

Any suggestions or comments on where the problem may lie? I'm not wanting to pay this guy to haul the tractor to his shop. I've considered taking the engine off, but then he couldn't engage the deck to simulate the problem.

briggsetc

I would go through the ignition. Check and clean the points. Replace the condenser if you do not have a tester. Point gap is .020".

The Briggs ignition is super reliable but even it needs maintenance once in a while. My LL needs it and was last done in 2005.

Maybe check for rodent infestation from the storage. Pull the tin held on with a few head bolts to see down in there when the engine is cold.

Gary

Willy

I had a problem like that with one of my B-10's.

I engaged the blade run it a WOT and then adjusted the carb.

I figured if you have problems under a load then adjust the

carb under a load. (works for me)

Keep your toe's away from the deck.sm02:D

Dave-Saratoga

i did forget it is a point ignition system. i put the other magneto in the b-210. will look at the the points and the condensor.

As to the gas, plug and air cleaner - all new and clean.

deck is free moving and greased up. thought this might be the problem with heating & operating temps but I removed pulley and the deck was free moving at operating temp.

Allisgrandson

Dave,

I'm in North Syracuse with a trailer if you need a lift. I also have a few B-10s. I'm not too good at solving problems, but I could bring over a NOVA II (replaces points and condenser) to see if that solves the ignition problem. I have a tractor that suffers performance issues similar to what you are describing under load, and I have a fuel restriction problem. It's in a Homelite T10 with a non OEM tank and no elbow on the outlet, so I have to pop the hood and lift the tank, and let the fuel flow. I'm good for about 20 minutes after that