Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4 link tire chains

huffy

I've always found 2 link works much better. I don't know anyone that prefers 4 link chains. But, for some reason, 4 link is all that TSC and most other places by me keep in stock. Why do they do this? In fact, why do manufacturers even make them? I'm guessing there must be some advantage to them or they wouldn't still be marketed, but I'm not seeing what that might be. Is it just because they're cheaper?

Chris,

I can't answer the question but any tractor, skidder, plow truck, or the like that has chains on it has either 2 link chains or ring chains (which are also 2 link).

In my opinion 4 link chains are useless.

Rick......

I need a set of 23x10.50-12 chains for my SS. Most places by me don't even carry chains that size, and the one place that does only has 4 link. (The Simplicity dealer said he could order me a set, but wanted nearly $200 for them. No thank you.) Even on eBay I don't see very many sets of 2 link listed in that size. There's a few, but not as many as I'd have thought. Just seems strange to me.

quote:Originally posted by huffy

I need a set of 23x10.50-12 chains for my SS. Most places by me don't even carry chains that size, and the one place that does only has 4 link. (The Simplicity dealer said he could order me a set, but wanted nearly $200 for them. No thank you.) Even on eBay I don't see very many sets of 2 link listed in that size. There's a few, but not as many as I'd have thought. Just seems strange to me.

id="quote">
id="quote">Search for Peerless Max-Trac part number 1063155, thats a 4 link for your size tire.Search for Peerless Max-Trac part number 1063156, thats a 2 link for your size tire.

quote:Originally posted by huffy

id="quote">
id="quote">Does this help you??http://www.tirechain.com/23X10.50X12.htm

Thanks. I'd actually already ordered a set. I wasn't really looking for chains, I was just curious if anyone had an explanation as to why 4 link chains are even available.

Interestingly, I noticed this on the manufacturer's website Dan listed:

"Which is better 2 or 4 link spacing? 2 link is always better. It provides for a more consistent ride by having more chain on the face of the tire. Therefore, helping to reduce the bumpy ride from being on chain - off chain. 2 link is always recommended for steering tires, since it allows more steering control."

If this manufacturer says that 2 link is always better, then why does this manufacturer even make and offer 4 link????

quote:Originally posted by DanD

I guess it's like asking why McDonald's sells cheeseburgers when you can get a Big Mac!

id="quote">
id="quote">Oh, I gotta disagree with you there . . . the Double Quarter Pounder with cheese is soooooooo much better than the Big Mac. 8D

I've run 4 link chains on my 712H with a plow before. They worked fine, never got stuck, or hung up, etc. I'm running a set of ag's on it now, or the 4 link would still be on it.

If you are running Ag's and you want to run chains you must use 2 link chains otherwise too many of the cross links fall in between the bars on the tires.

On my plow tractor I run wheel weights, ag's and 2 link chains. And I have gotten it stuck a few times. Mainly when I try and push the banks back after the plow truck has cleared the road.

If I am clearing my own driveway I have never gotten it stuck.

Rick.....

I had a pair of 4 link auto chains I cut them down to fit

my B-10 and the extra links I put between the 4 link.

There wasn't enough to finish the job so I checked

Tractor Supply and they had single cross links.

If you do something like that be sure and count how many

links in the cross link because they come in different lengths.

That could be a tongue twister.:D