Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar snow plow question

huffy

Is the lift bracket supposed to be bent like that? I'm assuming not, but want to double check before I heat it up and straighten it. It fits in the U slot on the lift rod, but for some reason I just get the feeling that it's supposed to be straight. I can't tell from the pics in my manual, since they're black and white and grainy.

Plow.jpg

Plow 2.jpg

Plow.jpg.3d7d79972e3fe4f12d408a9f152fb176.jpg

57e058b127614_Plow2.jpg.11f8d79d385229d866ec522b36cf7119.jpg

quote:Originally posted by B10Dave

Chris; judicious use of a large adjustable will straighten that bracket cold. No need for heat on that one...Dave

id="quote">
id="quote">It's more fun using the torch.

OMG Brett, that was a good one! I agree with B10Dave, a large cresent wrench and a little attitude should straighten it without the need for the torch(or the burnt paint it will suffer).

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

I agree with B10Dave, a large cresent wrench and a little attitude should straighten it without the need for the torch(or the burnt paint it will suffer).

id="quote">
id="quote">The paint's already worn off of it. And, like I said, it's more exciting to play with fire. Just jerking on it with a big wrench isn't a whole lot of fun. 8D

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to bending it back over the weekend when it started snowing. You guys that suggested just using a long wrench must have quite a bit more girth than I do.

Anyway, another question . . .

The hitch is prone to jumping out of the slots on the tractor on one side, especially when I've got the plow at an angle. The manual shows a pin that's supposed to go into a hole on the driver's side to hold it on, but mine doesn't have a place for a pin like is shown in the manual. Plus, I'm not seeing how a pin would work, since putting a pin in it would stop the plow from being able to pivot on the studs to raise and lower. Evidently I'm missing something. Anybody got a pic of theirs?

I see what it is now . . . those little plates on the inside of the hitch are supposed to swing back. You put the pins through those, and that's what's supposed to hold it on yet let it flex up and down.

You could break out the five pound swing press. Only problem is not a lot of room to work there, I'd stick to the adjustable wrench. Unless you have ingested too much aiming fluid, then all bets are off just use all mentioned tools. sm00