Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 7114

allis579

In the spring I put a 16 hp K341 in this tractor. I torqued all of the bolts and had lockwashers on them. Saturday I found that the drive shaft was loose as well as the flywheel. I found the key sheared off, but the keyway was undamaged. I replaced the key, got a NEW lock nut and Locktight. I applied locktight to the tapered shaft and all of the bolt threads, I hope this hold for a while. Bob

Me personally, I would not use lock tight on that. 60 ft lbs of torque should be enough to hold that. I have never had a problem like that with my flywheels.

My guess is that it was just not tightened enough. Its a pain but fix it and get it going again. Like ardisam said, the torque is not that much so I am not sure you would need locktight. Could it be that the flywheel nut is a single use like on the cone clutch?

You need clean metal to metal contact on the tapered area. I clean both the shaft and the flywheel with carb cleaner . The key locates the flywheel, but the tapered area holds it.