Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fabrication , iron strength question(pics added)

SmilinSam

Building a forkset head for my loader tractor to pin in place of the bucket.

Last time I did this i used a 1 1/2" solid round rod to support the forks and have them slide on.

This tractor is alot smaller and lift capacity is around 400-500 lbs.

Could I use 1 5/16" 1/8" wall steel pipe instead of the solid rod to save weight and still not have to worry aboout the pipe failing under a full load?

Each fork will be sliding on a 17" section of pipe supported firmly on both ends.

I am thiking it will work fine, but I usually have a tendancy to overengineer my projects so not sure...

Since your span is only 17", and the weight will be distributed among two of them, I tend to think you'll be okay. But, I'm no engineer and, thus, can't run any fancy pants calculations to confirm this.

How much do you want to lift? 400-500#.....

I think 1/8" wall pipe might be too thin. You are going to be applying side load to the pipe, yes?

I would try to get 1/4" wall seamless pipe, it will be plenty beefy for the 17" span.

The top of your fork will be slid onto the round stock.

If there's going to be a weak point, it would be where the sliding pipe is attached to the fork. Now the weight capacity of EACH fork should only be 200-250# You should bend the pipes on the forks before you bend the pipe they slide on.

I would think square stock would be stronger. I have used pipe in the rear lift only to see it bend on high loads. The different angles seem to add more strength. All you can do is try it your way. If it does not work, try a little differently. That's the fun of this stuff. Creativity!

I would think a piece of 1-1/4" pipe, 17" in length, would be quite sufficient. As Mike said, try it and see to be sure. But I can't imagine myself and another individual of the 200+ # range, each grabbing a fork, hanging on it, and bending a piece of 1-1/4" pipe. Even if hanging at the tips of the forks, and even if both forks are in the center of the 17" span. I just don't see it as an issue. 1" pipe (1-1/4" O.D.) is pretty hearty stuff.

Sam, on the first one I made out of junk, I used 1" pipe with no support at the ends.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=52560&SearchTerms=forks

I bent the forks a few times, but never the pipe. If Someone sat on the hood of the tractor, I could carry the big heavy duty tiller, just took 2 people to pull the lift handle. :o

I would think you will be fine.

Sam my Kwik-Way loader has fork attachment and its built like you described; forks slide on the rod rod at the top...Mine has solid round rod thats less than 3/4"...maybe 5/8?? and I've lifted 3 full sized railroad ties on mine, about 600lbs...if you want I'll measure it after work tonite & get a few pics if needed.

Some great advice, kinda divided so I decided to also consult my fairbanks morse store scale to help make up my mind for me..Loader bucket weighed in at 117 lbs.Forkset frame and parts to make forks and solid rod I described above weighed in at 115 lbs... and thats with some of the parts needig cut to length. So.. the finished forkset should weigh in at around 100 lbs or so. Less than the factory bucket.I would have tried to use the pipe, but if it didnt work it would mean spending money on a new solid shaft the same size, and I am trying to stick to whats laying around in here to save the dwindling money supply.Heres where I am at so far..

DSCN0095_zps53e6720a.jpg

Heres the parts to make the forks..

DSCN0096_zps1546eab0.jpg

Hi Sam, personally you did an incredible job, I would hold off and make it once and right. You will find it incredibly useful. A little money now will insure its right the first time.

Sam, I think the pipe would have worked fine, with the center support. I am using two pipes (one within another), with the outer one being 2 inches OD. I will let you know how pipe works. Even though I "am" an engineer, I have not bothered with the calculations. I am just going to try the pipe because I have it but I do not have any solid shafting.