Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Legacy Rear 3pt - Dimensions?

Talntedmrgreen

How do I tell the difference between:

1692891 - 2000 RPM Rear PTO, and

1693447 - 540 RPM Rear PTO, on an early Legacy?

I'm not sure if there are decals indicating PTO speed, but certainly nothing that can be . I would think finding a tiller or mower in 540 is much easier than 2000, but I'd still be happy to have a rear PTO at all, considering how scarce they seem to be.

Also, is an early Legacy 3pt (1692928 or 1693572) Cat 0? I know the XL's use an 'modified' Cat 1.

Thanks!

NEW QUESTION!

Curious what the dimensions are, of the lower 3pt arms are, on an early Legacy 3pt #1693572? Should be identical, LH and RH. Deere Cat 0 arms appear to be different, and perhaps longer.

P/N 1716415ASM

I was curious if there was a way to identify it by appearance...say, in a picture. I quickly googled the mfg on the pto tag when I was looking her over...540, it is!

I looked up the parts and owners manual for that 540, and from the way it fits on the tractor, I'd be curious to see what sort of 3 pt would fit the tractor with that on there. The center link on the 2 models of 3 pt you cite would be in the way of the splined shaft on the 540.

Don't remember where or when, but I have it stuck in my head that I was told the splines are different so the wrong attachments can't interchange ???

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Don't remember where or when, but I have it stuck in my head that I was told the splines are different so the wrong attachments can't interchange ???

id="quote">
id="quote">That could very well be Dan. Anyone know if the spline for a Simplicity 540 is the same as that of a standard Cat 0 540 attachment? I know the PO used a 48" Woods rotary cutter.Here's the pto/3pt top link orientation. There are various positions for the top length and it looks like there should be ample room for a shaft to pass through.20130920_065752.jpg

So....given the option, do I go Cat 0 or Cat 1? Cat 0 will be more pricey and attachments are more scarce. Cat 1 will put the load 5" further from the tractor and implements are likely more weight to begin with, neither of which I care for. I can mount Cat 0 attachments to a Cat 1 hitch, correct?

Keeping in mind, some day I would like:

-48-50" tiller

-48" rotary mower or flail mower

opinions welcome...

I'm going on memory here.....Cat '0' uses 5/8" dia lift pins and the spacing is 20"...Cat '1' uses 7/8" dia lift pins and the spacing is 26". A modified Cat '1' uses 7/8" dia pins and the spacing is 20". You can find special lift pins that are Cat '0' to Cat '1' or Cat '1' to Cat '0', that basically have a different threaded diameter than the lift pin diameter that allows you to use whatever attachement you have with whatever tractor lift arms you have. The biggest thing is the spacing. On some Cat '1' attachments you can switch the direction of the pins from pointing outboard to pointing inboard and reduce the pin to pin spacing.

I'm not positive, but I thought that some of the early Legacy models were Cat '0' like the previous Sunstar models but that they changed to a modified Cat '1' design for later models. The design of your upper lift arms leads me to think that you have the earlier design, based on the pin being welded into the arm and cantilevered. The later designs used a loose through pin that engaged both sides of the lift arm.

Yep, that looks different than the drawings I was looking at last night.

Most 540 attachments work with a cat 1 three point. You can just use bushings to use cat 0 stuff on a cat 1. They sell them off the shelf at the local TSC store.

That's the route I'll go then. I'll probably go Cat 1, and bush, if/when necessary. Parts are so much cheaper (half or less) when bought aftermarket, in Cat 0 or Cat 1.

Anyone have experience with a Legacy 3pt, and lifting capacity? The chart in the manual makes it sound like maybe 400#, when hanging out there 20-26". It's much higher, on a shorter leash.

Steven, the XL's use the modified Cat 1...I'd love for someone to chime in with an actual measurement, but the modified Cat 1 I've seen offered as Deere parts during my search, are 5/8" pin, and 23.5" long. I wonder if the modified Cat 1 for Simplicity is the same...longer that Cat 0, but of the same strength, so to speak, based on 5/8" thick steel and 5/8" pins.