Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
landlord2110

How to find a metal object in the lawn?

RayS

The part number is 1922133SM. At less than $3.00 I doubt I would look very long. Dealer probably has it in stock and would take less time to go get a new one than to find the old one. It is a lock nut and if it came off the locking ability is gone.

A wide magnet from harbor freight would cost more than a half dozen nuts.

Brettw

Oh, you'll find it. On your living room rug. After it went through the picture window. After the new 3 buck nut on the pulley worked so well it spun the blade a full speed, and fired the nut like a rifle shot. Trust me, you can look for weeks, or you can just cut the grass then you'll find the old nut.

huffy

It will cost you more for a magnet wide enough to be of any use riding around on your tractor than it will to just order a new nut. If you've got a lot of extra copper wire laying around, an extra battery big enough, and a length of steel rod you might rig up an electromagnet. But, I don't think it's worth the effort.

GLPointon

Most rental stores have the "Rolling magnets" like the roofers use to get nails out of your lawn after a re-roof job. Its about 24" wide and you can push/pull it around and steel will it stick to it.

JohnFornaro

When you guys are done, come on by my place. I've got hitch pins, nuts, washers, bolts, a pair of sunglasses (I think), a Benchmade pocket knife (I assume). Even a blade from the 48" deck, for a couple of days. Finally found the blade.

There's at least two screwdrivers, and a pair of linesman's pliers too.

No hammers, thank goodness.

HubbardRA

I have an old stereo speaker that I keep in the garage with a cord attached to it. I just drag it around the yard back and forth till I find what I am looking for. Unfortunately, most of the time I find everything "but" what I was looking for. Amazing how many metal items you will find when you drag a magnet around the yard.

John_in_Oxford
quote:Originally posted by Brettw

Oh, you'll find it. On your living room rug. After it went through the picture window. After the new 3 buck nut on the pulley worked so well it spun the blade a full speed, and fired the nut like a rifle shot. Trust me, you can look for weeks, or you can just cut the grass then you'll find the old nut.

id="quote">
id="quote">Unvarnished Truth!

rokon2813
quote:Originally posted by Brettw

id="quote">
id="quote">This generally only holds true for parts without sharp edges.....with sharp edges, you will surely find it embedded in one of your tires... :o

mbinwi

I find missing metal objects in my yard with a Craftsman, 11hp, 38" cut lawn tractor. Works great, for finding objects like my fire pit tongs/poker. After spending too much time up north, I came home to mow the yard. While mowing around the fire pit, I noticed the tongs I use to move wood was not in it's usual spot, on the bench. A sudden loud crunch, and the motor coming to a stop, I realized I had found the missing tongs. It cost me a new spindle, and I had to weld the movable tong part back on the handle, but I found the missing tongs. Seems to work good.

Mike

MrSteele

I'll agree with Mike. A lawnmower is a fine machine to use to find things. It'll find dog toys, kid's small toys, Mom's pruner, a mole trap....

I dragged a roofer's magnet looking for a blade a few years ago, found the nut, washers, a few pieces of old steel beer can, but the blade is still out there laughing at me.

Buy another nut, you'll find the one you lost, eventually