Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Points plunger sticking in bore?

littlemarv

I'm getting ready to paint my B-10. I was thinking, "You know, the last time I restored a tractor I was terrified to use it. What am I going to do for a worker FDT?"Then I remembered I have this sitting behind my garden shed in the mini tractor boneyard!

b1 002.jpg

I actually got it running this summer and found out it is in dire need of repair, then put it back out to pasture. The engine needs a gasket set, its an 8 H.P. so I know its not original, I was always going to find a proper 19D and restore it, but working tractors are way more fun!So, this winter I will go through the engine. The engine starts and runs fine, but if you drive it say 200' it suddenly dies and won't restart until its stone cold. I'm pretty sure the points aren't moving once it dies. I think I've read about this on here before, what causes the plunger to stick? I guess it could be rust on the outside or sludge on the inside, anything else to look out for?Thanks in advance.

57e058b38a8c9_b1002.jpg.edde06fc821fc8876010192b3efdc014.jpg

Sounds more like a coil or condenser a mouse condo can cause

a coil to over heat. I have a B-12 that is doing the same thing,

I just haven't had time to work on it yet.

I had an external coil on it- the original coil is shot. I'm pretty sure once it quit the plunger quit moving because when it was running you could see a tiny spark at the points every time they closed. Once it quit, no more spark there.

I suppose the quickest way to tell would be once it quits to throw the spark tester in the plug wire and see what I got.