Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ONAN ENGINE PARTS

allis712

My dad is working on a cckb engine out of my sisters 720, it needs a flywheel and the gear cover. Can anybody suggest a source to purchase

the parts? Does anyone know if this motor was used in other models like a sears suburban or wheelhorse? I have a junkyard by me I can source. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thanks John

Try Sandy Lake Implement in Pa. www.sandylakeimp.com. Brenda usually has quite a few parts for the Onan CCKB engines and the 616-620-720 series tractors.

Are there any Onan Generator sets that are worth keeping an eye out for? I've seen several with cck engines, but never ripped into one. Wonder if the crankshaft is typically shorter or some other feature that would make them a difficult substitute? Just Curious.

quote:Originally posted by rickf

Are there any Onan Generator sets that are worth keeping an eye out for? I've seen several with cck engines, but never ripped into one. Wonder if the crankshaft is typically shorter or some other feature that would make them a difficult substitute? Just Curious.

id="quote">
id="quote">I discussed this with a couple folks at a recent swap meet.The starter on many of the Onan gen sets is built into the generator head. Therefore, there is no ring gear on the flywheel, and no provision in the tin or block to mount a starter if you remove the generator head. Also, they used the generator head weight in place of flywheel weight, so the flywheel is basically just a tin cooling fan.Internal parts may swap, but as an engine, they are almost useless without the generator portion.Because of the tin fan, they were not sure if the crank would even accept a standard flywheel.At a minimum, you would need a flywheel, cut or replace the flywheel cover to accept a starter, a starter, and possibly drill and tap the block to bolt the starter on.It would also not have the internal stator, so no charging system whatsoever.I never opened one up, so this is just what I was told.

Sounds like more than I had anticipated, and pretty useless unfortunately, except for spare parts. - thanks for the info.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

I discussed this with a couple folks at a recent swap meet.

The starter on many of the Onan gen sets is built into the generator head. Therefore, there is no ring gear on the flywheel, and no provision in the tin or block to mount a starter if you remove the generator head. Also, they used the generator head weight in place of flywheel weight, so the flywheel is basically just a tin cooling fan.

Internal parts may swap, but as an engine, they are almost useless without the generator portion.

Because of the tin fan, they were not sure if the crank would even accept a standard flywheel.

At a minimum, you would need a flywheel, cut or replace the flywheel cover to accept a starter, a starter, and possibly drill and tap the block to bolt the starter on.

It would also not have the internal stator, so no charging system whatsoever.

I never opened one up, so this is just what I was told.

id="quote">
id="quote">