Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another local show... interesting stuff

SmilinSam

Twister tractors.. articulated steering made in the early to mid 70's if I remember right..

DSCN0122_zps060951d1.jpg

DSCN0121_zps7a2bad1b.jpg

DSCN0123_zps18181728.jpg

DSCN0120_zps0011adef.jpg

Some other stuff

DSCN0118_zpsdc7ca45e.jpg

DSCN0117_zps5f64ae4e.jpg

DSCN0113_zpse254a328.jpg

DSCN0114_zps9625f7fc.jpg

A local guy built this

DSCN0115_zps361dc537.jpg

DSCN0116_zps290c5c1f.jpg

DSCN0119_zpscf38cb1d.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Gordan

Man, the A/C 400 series sure looks even more tank-like than the Sovereign series. Is it, in practice?

id="quote">
id="quote">They are all about the same as for durability(imo). 300/ 400 series seem to have more cracks develop in the seat decks than the Soveriegn series. I always thought it would be neat to put a B series hydrolift in a 300 series frame(they were made to use them) change out the vickers for a sundstrand and put power steering on it, but never got around to it. Maybe some day..?

quote:Originally posted by gwiseman

Never seen a Twister. What'd you take Sam?

id="quote">
id="quote">Was too busy finishing up the forkset Satuday to haul anything up. Sunday I was going to take the 1914 Aiis(sunstar), but ended up going to get the truckload of goodies instead which ate up the morning.I'd like to get my hands on a affordably cheap Twister fixer upper and rebuild it a bit into a miniature log skidder complete with a cable winch and log bumper in the rear:D

Never seen a Twister before. Neat machine!

I'll bet that it could get a bit squirrely steering with a load in the bucket raised high, given that very short wheelbase and its high center of gravity to start with...

Living with my articulated Power Trac, you have to be careful with loads raised high because steering it changes the wheelbase dramatically. Mine articulates 45% which makes it very maneuverable, but when fully articulated, you've doubled the wheelbase on the outside and reduced it to half on the inside. Running larger wheel motors and 26x12x12s, I have to turn my foot sideways to get between the tires on the inside, when fully cranked...

I wonder what kind of differentials this thing has to handle those changes in 4WD. My hydraulics eliminate that concern, but this looks to be mechanical...