Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar rear tire sizes

Brettw

I am curious. Most of the Sunstars came with 23-10.50.12's for rear tires. I see some with 26-12-12's. But I thought that the larger tire option was a 24-13-12. Does anyone know for sure if all of these tires were options, or are the 26 and/or 24" after market stuff? I know the 24-13-12's seem like the perfect tire for a 7100 series for stability, but they are rare and 'spensive!

The 23x10.50-12 was standard, and 26x12-12 was an option, according to the manuals I have. I don't recall seeing 24x13-12 listed as an option in any of my manuals.

Last week Ray was e-mailing around the SS repair manual to a bunch of people (including me) who asked for it in another thread. The 23x10.50-12 standard/ 26x12-12 optional is stated in the back of that one, too.

Miller Tire has 24x12-12 Carlisle's. Only turf's, though. And they're about $112 each, plus shipping.

I want some new tires for my SS. I thought about putting 26x12-12's on mine. But, I've noticed that a lot of people that do that start trying to find bigger tires for the front to even it out. So, I'm not so sure now. Might just stick with 23x10.50-12's.

Speaking of SS fronts...will the larger front tires from a Sunstar fit on the wide front rims of a 7100. The tires are bigger but I think they're the same ID/rim size??? (but differant hubs)

The wheels and bearings are different, although they are both 8" wheels, I think the wider Sunstar tires would hit the front spindles. If you look on the Sovereigns, there isn't much clearance.

I know the rims have differant hub/bearing types. I'm just thinking tires.

I checked mine last nite...The Sunstar fronts are 18x8.5x8 and the 7100's are 16x8.5x8...so they should be the same width (8.5) and same rim dia (8), just taller (18 vs 16)..? Does that seem right??

Thanks sm01

• 3 weeks later...

Just looked another Sunstar today. A bit too rough for my liking, painted with a barn broom I think. But, and this is why I wanted to look at it, 24-13-12's on the rear. Proper factory rims, proper color, and the same tread pattern I have seen in the past. So I am thinking the 24-13's were an available tire, if not standard. They seem to be on later models, the ones with the silver colored rims.