Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 616 Magazine Ad

leeave96

Here is an add for an Allis Chalmers 616 from around 1972 - 1973.

Allis Chalmers 616 Ad - Small.jpg

Never really considered owning one of these, though I see them come up for sale from time to time.What's the good, bad and ugly about these tractors? Are they good mowers? Were they made in a Simplicity factory or an Allis Chalmers? I gather the Simplicity PowerMax was the same tractor?Thanks!Bill

57e058b6b5766_AllisChalmers616Ad-Small.jpg.8db2388ca905fa5defaee7cd58304a12.jpg

Yep, great machines, good size for an acre or more of grass, the hydro drive lets you maneuver around trees and stuff like a surgeon! Non scalp mower deck with full rollers leaves great looking stripes and if lucky you find a front end loader to play with. The Powermax, 9020,4040, 4041, AC720, 620, 616 and Montgomery Wards Twin Twenty all built around same chassis. You can find lots of info on this site and even more if you join as a full member.

Bought a 1974 AC 620 3 yrs. ago in TN. Love the hydro. Does a fantastic job mowing. Has features that even newer tractors don't have. Has "float" function for both front and rear attachments. Works great for plowing snow. A friend just looked at a similar to my 620 = 2013 John Deere compact with loader and back blade - walked away because it did not have float on the rear. Tractor seems to be built really tough = compare to the newer, lighter models of 20 hp. tractors. Have seen a stock 620 out pull the higher horsepower built for pulling tractors. Onan engine needs to always run with all the shrouds attached, or can be hurt by overheating, I have been told by quite a few people with more knowledge than I.

The Onan parts are quite expensive if repairs are necessary. I have purchased some. Loose, worn steering seems to be a common problem. My steering box is loose also. Has under 1500 well maintained hours on it. I am the 3rd owner, the other 2 owners were in the same TN. family.

Bottom line, I would definatly make the same purchase again, even with the parts purchases and issues I have had, after all, the unit is 39 years old. Plus, IT JUST LOOKS TOUGH!

Bought a 1974 AC 620 3 yrs. ago in TN. Love the hydro. Does a fantastic job mowing. Has features that even newer tractors don't have. Has "float" function for both front and rear attachments. Works great for plowing snow. A friend just looked at a similar to my 620 = 2013 John Deere compact with loader and back blade - walked away because it did not have float on the rear. Tractor seems to be built really tough = compare to the newer, lighter models of 20 hp. tractors. Have seen a stock 620 out pull the higher horsepower built for pulling tractors. Onan engine needs to always run with all the shrouds attached, or can be hurt by overheating, I have been told by quite a few people with more knowledge than I.

The Onan parts are quite expensive if repairs are necessary. I have purchased some. Loose, worn steering seems to be a common problem. My steering box is loose also. Has under 1500 well maintained hours on it. I am the 3rd owner, the other 2 owners were in the same TN. family.

Bottom line, I would definatly make the same purchase again, even with the parts purchases and issues I have had, after all, the unit is 39 years old. Plus, IT JUST LOOKS TOUGH!