Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
curlett

36 inch tiller question

curlett

I recently had a 36 inch tiller (model 990694) with a broken chain given to me. I've replaced the chain and use it with my 7016 now and everything is working properly. My question is that when I'm tilling it seems like the tiller bounces around a lot and I was wondering if that is normal with the smaller tillers. I have the heavy duty 38 inch tiller and that sits pretty still all the time when I'm using it. I guess the 38 inch tiller is a lot heavier so it doesn't bounce as much and the only thing I can think of is to add weight to the smaller tiller to hold it down to stop the bouncing and shaking. Also I don't lower the tiller all the way in hard ground right away, I usually make 3-4 passes going an inch or two deeper at a time so I know that I'm not trying to do to much at a time. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!

RayS

My experience is the bouncing is caused by ground speed of the tractor. If you have a hydro you can slow it right down to barely moving and the bounce should go away. They also made a adjustable tiller depth gauge for these.

DSCF0676.JPG

tillerdepth.jpg

I have a spare that I would part with.

DSCF0676.JPG.1cf91e20707096b9c707997185b41c6e.JPG

tillerdepth.jpg.4401a25d409132e177a42bc4e0037042.jpg

SmilinSam

huh..

now I know what that unknown piece was I threw away last yearXX(

The 36's always seem to hop around in aything but really loose dirt. I till my gardens both spring and fall which ends up after a season or two making a nice loose seedbed to till in everytime.

acfarmer

Like Ray said slowing the ground speed down will help also if the ground is the least bit hard I use a ripper with a couple shanks made from

chisel teeth off a chisel plow to rip the ground up before tilling makes things go easier and less wear and tear on the tractor/tiller.This also helps break the hardpan that moldboard plowing and tilling can create.

stevenj
quote:Originally posted by RayS

They also made a adjustable tiller depth gauge for these.

DSCF0676.JPG

I have a spare that I would part with.

id="quote">
id="quote">Ray,Any chance you could provide me a sketch with measurements so I could fabricate one?Thanks,

curlett

Ray, if its not too much trouble it would be great if you could check your chain for the link size and diameter so I can go buy some. Also the U-shaped bracket metal looks to be the same thickness as the bracket with all the holes, right? Thanks!

curlett

Turns out I had the chain and U- shaped bracket the whole time, I have a wonderboy 700 that I'm not using and the deck lift chain is the same with the same bracket. Thanks for all the trouble Ray, and thanks everyone for the advice, it's working a lot better now. The depth limiting chain helps quit a bit and slowing the engine speed down helped too.