Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dad buys another Simplicity 35 years later

JoggerFogger

I've been restoring the 64 Landlord my dad bought in 1979, and he's got pretty interested in the idea. I've been looking for a tiller attachment for mine and I found this whole tractor on Craigslist.I emailed my dad about it and he called the guy that day. Today I helped him go and pick it up. I think it's a sweet rig, hopefully it's a deal. $500 for the tractor, tiller, and mowing deck.The only flaw I could find is the bearings that hold the tines stable in the tiller are loose. Hopefully that's an easy fix, because my dad bought the thing for the tiller.I guess there was one other thing, but I'm not sure if its a flaw or not. We loaded it up in my truck and we had to rev the engine pretty high and push the hydrostatic drive all the way forward. I was expecting it to just crawl up the ramps, but it struggled. Is this normal, or do I need to do some investigating?The seller, Bill, took great care of it, and bought it in 1985. My dad is pretty happy.3415H Simplicity Sovereign. I believe it is a 1972 by looking here.-KevinPS: My dad is the younger of these two old farts. Bill is 81, and my dad is 68. :)

20130925_151517.jpg

20130925_155954_HDR.jpg

I told my dad about the counterweight option. It's actually not that bad lifting it with the lever, but he's not getting any younger.

Any idea where to find a service manual for a 3415H? I found one for my Landlord here somewhere, but I can't seem to remember where. Maybe "show and tell" is the wrong forum to ask.

-Kevin

nice find sm01

The linkage can get out of wack on those and make's it feel like the hydro is bad. does it have good strength in reverse ? if so it maybe the linkage . also make sure the brake pedal is pulled back and drive belt is tight. you really don't have to use the brake pedal on a hydro and they will get stiff over time. check the hydro neutral release and make sure it's engaged all the way

The mfg number for a 3415H is 990759. Put that number in the box in this link for the operating manual:

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/support/manuals

And yes, the Vikers hydro should have climbed the ramp very easily. As others have said, check all the linkages, etc. Also check the bolts holding the BGB to the frame (as side plate bolts while your checking). Loose BGB/frame bolts have been know to cause the issue you're experiencing.

Thanks for all the info. You guys are awesome.

I'm going to move all my questions to a new thread outside Show & Tell.

Thanks!

-Kevin