Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wheel weights vs loaded tires

sispro

During the winter I have 2 Simplicity tractors set up for snow removal. The one with the snowthrower has loaded ag tires and the one with the blade has loaded ag tires with chains. This combination works for me.

Me too...I used Turfs/Chains w/weights snowblowing for many yrs. Last yr I left the weights off because I painted my rims. There was no differance. Chains do as well with or without weights for blowing snow IMO.

But on my loader I have the Ags filled with fluid and it makes a HUGE differance for digging into the dirt and as rear counterweight.

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

Me too...I used Turfs/Chains w/weights snowblowing for many yrs. Last yr I left the weights off because I painted my rims. There was no differance. Chains do as well with or without weights for blowing snow IMO.

id="quote">
id="quote">I agree...unless you have a slope to contend with, snowblowing is a pretty effortless deal on the rear end, and weight isn't needed. Dozing, is another story all together. I pushed snow for years with only chains, and while it went well, it improved greatly when I added 100# to the rear end. Much more than that, and the 'bite' becomes too great, and I fear for the life of my axle tube, should I snag something with the blade.

Most of the time I get by with just loaded turf tires with my thrower,

I have loaded turf tires on my blade tractor and don't use chains until I just have to, I would rather spin a tire then change

an axel tube.

My ground is pretty level.

quote:Originally posted by yukon

im planning to run ag tires and chains without weights this year ill let you know how it turns out the first snow fall.

id="quote">
id="quote">I am a little more north of you lol 82 miles from me.also last year i ran loaded tires and chains used a blade had no problems i just wasn't sure if i should add theses wheel weights

quote:unless you have a slope to contend with . . . .id="quote">
id="quote">

not to sound like my Grandpa talking about his treks to school back in the good old days, but I have to plow/blow up hill both ways. Seriously, my driveway's saddle-shaped with a big dip in the middle. On the inclines, I find that adding weight helps. But, I agree that on the flat portions weights would be mere surplusage.

I don't like weights because of the added stress they put on your

keys and key ways.

I've had disagreements on the subject but the Kinetic energy

that's produced when you are stopped by a unmovable object or

ramming a snow bank which we all do, puts a lot of strain on

the axel keys in turn on the axel tube.

Kinetic energy is what takes place when you smack the bottom of a

catsup bottle.

Fluid in the tires is un sprung weight, when your stopped quick

the fluid go's round and round inside the tire and you get very

little kinetic affect.

MHO!!

I have started last year with ATV's and I real am happy. Tires were only $38 so it was worth trying.

912%20blower.jpg

I'll admit once it was dicey on ice, but a nudge from me handled the problem. No chain marks, no weights. Of course I am around 230 lbs and that's like two loaded tires.:D