Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Beginning to hate Nelson

pungo

If you do not get the angle of the outlet hole of a Nelson can muffler just right you get bathed in exhaust.On a calm day(like today) when the wind doesn't carry it away the exhaust starts to feel like sitting beside an oil heater. Funny thing is the cheap 7 dollar muffler on my Allis doesn't do this.

They look cool, sound cool, and are indeed OEM. Theres got to be a better muffler.

I spend a lot of seat time and breathing exhaust really makes me mad.

Exploring having a custom muffler fabricated, been studying the pulling tractor guys and saw one rig with a flange/adapter at the motor for removal and a pipe going down to a curve exhausting to the rear.

Close tolerances to keep it from getting in the way, but worth the try if you are going to use one of these things.

I fount a short exhaust pipe slip connector, about 3" long or so, at the auto parts store. It fits tightly into the opening on the Nelson mufflers. This helps direct the exhaust better, and quietens them down a bit more since it directs the noise away from you also...

For noise cancellation this has been used by some members. The price is right. Also keep in mind that noise that is acceptable to some could be aggrevating to others. It simliar to the phrase, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." http://www.ruralking.com/agriculture/tractor-parts-accessories/tractor-truck/tractor-parts/deere-tractor-muffler-72179.html

I love the pop that the old Nelsons have...decent condition units are quiet, I think. Some have their guts blown out, and have quite a crack to them. I think the 12's are louder than the 7, 9 & 10's, also. Put one on a 16, and you need ear plugs! The later mufflers on RBT's is almost gross to me. Can't stand them. But, then, the later KT's sounds great, IMO...and the best of the bunch is the Lombardini. All opinion ;)

AM30280.jpg

I have one similar to this that exits out the end. Except it looks just like the Nelson. It seems to be quitter than the Simplicity version and you do not get the black soot all over the front axle and it blows it away from the operator, instead of driving through it.

AM30280.jpg.e668e36d983506ecc9e76374498ce9e6.jpg

John Deere sells a nelson that exits out the end. Unfortunately the pipe is about 1/4" shorter and gets pretty close to the hood/grille.The Deere muffler is the top one in the picture.

IMG_8336.jpg

The can body is a little bit longer compared to the Simplicity muffler.

jd_nelson_3.jpg

orig_nelson.jpg

Above is the clearance with the Simplicity Nelson on a B-100/200 series, around 1/2." With the JD Nelson below you get something like 1/4" to 5/16"

jd_nelson_4.jpg

jd_nelson_1.jpg

IMG_8336.jpg.252c1b37e0762d5de409c3ce20d1d3a0.jpg

jd_nelson_3.jpg.5f21a948ac4bb63e3e43d295f9f48c2a.jpg

orig_nelson.jpg.d4ced289d2779518f8b286c1a135159b.jpg

jd_nelson_4.jpg.f9d06e11baeb71234e89f9bb92db5224.jpg

jd_nelson_1.jpg.fdb31b7e1ad5a99fc009c5402f8d7370.jpg

Nelson mufflers (can mufflers) by far sound and perform better :) the hole should face down about 30 degrees facing forward. We've ran these for Years! Even pull with them and never had a blast of heat or oil :)

I always use ear plugs so the noise issue is tolerable. I do like the looks of that Deere muffler and plan on oredering one tonight, the price is good too.

Folks, this only seems to be a problem on calm days, that and the fact I spend a lot of seat time mowing.

Anybody use the 37 degree elbow that points the muffler at a downward angle toward the front?

• 5 months later...

I am looking up this muffler and seeing one with the welded lip instead of the crimped ends when typing the numbers AM30280.

Is this NLA ?

I see # AM30280 replaced # AM30049 and the new ones have the off-set exit tube.

Looks like Deere snuck in the new ones with the welded lip without changing the model #.

quote:Originally posted by trowel

I see # AM30280 replaced # AM30049 and the new ones have the off-set exit tube.Looks like Deere snuck in the new ones with the welded lip without changing the model #.

id="quote">
id="quote">I think there is some confusion in this topic. There are references to two different Deere mufflers. One is the Deere OEM part made by Nelson ($94.11 MSRP) and the other is the inexpensive aftermarket for around $35. The aftermarket does not have the crimped ends. It is often advertised as the OEM part on eBay but it looks and sounds different. If someone has seen or has purchased the OEM Deere muffler and it has changed I would be curious to know. We don't stock them here so I can't check one.

I checked the numbers for JD on JD's main site, Deere only sells the AM30280 # which replaced the original AM30049 #, only one referance was found to the one with the crimped ends but was to that part number AM30280, when i checked on several different sites it it came back again as AM30280 with the welded lip (aftermarket).

Cub Cadet and John Deere are notorius for doing that.

Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
quote:
id="quote">I keep a pair right on the seat! ;)
id="quote">id="quote">They work a lot better if you put them in your ears!!:DOh well different strokes for different folks!!!^

I just got off the phone with my JD parts guy and he stated the same, AM30280 is John Deere's number but the muffler is showing the cheaper ones, snuck it in under him using the same old numbers.

He is looking around for the earlier ''cripped'' ends.

Deere has hundreds of part # AM30280 in the Warehouse inventory available for stock order. Wells and Sandy Lake also have reproduction Nelson mufflers available, they are the same ones that are on eBay.

You completely missed what i am doing.I will try one more time,...Scroll up and look at the Nelson can muffler you got and posted for your Allis, looks just like the repo Nelson for Simplicity with the roll-welded ends but a hair shorter pipe and exits from the end instead of the side, type in the numbers AM30280 off your box you posted which it real JD numbers you will see a different muffler to what you got.For the later John Deere 110 and 112 they used the same muffler you got but NLA, that was the repro muffler for JD at the time is was sold, now it is only one, this one :

JD_AM30280.jpg

There is another muffler AM30049, still do not know that kind that is, waiting for the call back.

JD_AM30280.jpg.fcac0f43685ed40945a0e8b28929bce2.jpg

The AM30049 is NLA. It is for the early round fender 110's.

Here is a repro version of the AM30049.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ceramic-Coated-Muffler-John-Deere-110-112-Round-Fender-1963-to-1967-/151107726152#ht_272wt_1124

I'm not new to John Deere parts with about 4 years of parts counter experience and the AM30280 is still a current part number with hundreds at the warehouse. Its a slow moving part so I find it unlikely that they ran out of the Nelson-built mufflers. Its so slow moving that only five dealers on the national locator have it in stock. They could have changed suppliers, but its very unlikely.