Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pulley Size 5000w alternator

SmilinSam

This found me a month or two ago and just arrived yesterday as part of a greater trade deal..

DSCN0151_zpsd9d4c33f.jpg

This was remounted into a homade cub cadet tractor attachment frame. So thus missing the Allis mount I had Ray whip me up a mount while he was in the mount building mode a number of weeks back.

DSCN0152_zps4273587b.jpg

Need to know a couple of things.1)What size is the drive pulley goes on the shaft? I am assuming same size as whats on the cone clutch, but want to know for sure.2)Also, the guage showing the voltage has the needle broken off it. Are similar guages available for replacement?I traded my big cub Cadet I have had for a few years to a Cub Cadet guy who had some interesting stuff I could make use of including this generator.Also got these too...

DSCN0153_zpsa625ae48.jpg

He also has a pair of wheel weights , same stamping as our 26 lb standard Allis/Simplicity wheel weights, only these are twice as thick and weigh about double. Havnt negotiated for them yet, but they were offered for sale to me. We have to talk some more..;)

I think I ran a 3" on mine. that way I did not have to run the tractor at WOT to get the 3600 rpm on the generator.

The only drawback I can think of, if you were using the peak output of the generator, you might not have peak horse power from the engine, since you are not at WOT.

It was certainly much quieter running the tractor around 2000 instead of 3600 RPM

Tamur, an engine will only get so hot from normal combustion (unless there is detonation or lubrication issues), regardelss of RPM. At a higher RPM, an air cooled engine cools more, due to increased blower/fan speed. With reduced RPM, cooling is diminished, but the engine still builds normal heat. This is why you will find rpm recommendations in the engine and tractor manuals, for certain tasks.

quote:Originally posted by tamurmueen

Is that for all the tractors, or just the fluid-cooled ones? Surely an old Briggs runs hotter at WOT than at lower RPM?

id="quote">
id="quote">I, agree with Josh. It will run cooler at WOT verses lower speed. The faster it is spinning the cooler it will run. It moves more air over the cylinder and the cylinder head. All the manuals state this.

quote:Originally posted by tamurmueen

Very interesting! Counter-intuitive, but now clear!Now, everyone back to work!

id="quote">
id="quote">Not really. The faster it is spinning the faster the flywheel is moving air over the cylinder and the cylinder head. My neighbor burns up a motor about every 3 years because of this.

Also those small generators have to have a shaft speed of 3600RPM under load to maintain 60HZ. Variations in speed are ok for the likes of skil saws, drills, some compressors and mabye sump pumps.

Now for electronic controlled refrigerators, furnaces and misc electronic controlled equipment, the tolerance variation of 60hz is very low I believe. That's why you need advice on what you can power stuff in todays world.

Thanks for the pulley size. Going to use a trans mission drive pulley from a hydro gearbox that is 5" and 7/8" arbor size. Just have to drill and tap a couple of set screw holes in the pulley.

While Ive never approached the load with just a trimmer on the back...

UCD commented on a thread a while back and he assured the reader that under load you would need the recommended pulley speed as the generator would generate voltage but also a ton of resistance on the drive shaft with that increased load...

I'd say, (like I think Bob, Ray, and Dan were saying) unless you'll never use it for any more that what was stated as a 'skil saw' etc never use a smaller pulley than recommended. If you stall it running your house, you will burn out your stuff (TV, fridge, etc.) as you deviate from 60 Hz.

• 2 weeks later...

BLT brings up a great point about these generators. I sell both Heating Air Conditioning (HVAC) and Honeywell (Generac) standby power generators. I am also an applications and service trainer for Honeywell / Generac products standby power units.

The old 5kw accessory generators are good for running a string of lights, drill, or sump pump, but are not rated as Utility Grade power. With the advent of variable speed motors and electronics on various appliances it is best to not use the Allis type accessory gen-sets. Even gas powered portable units can cause issues that can take out control boards and motors on current appliances. Just be careful.

This one is mainly for show, running out to the corners of the farm to run power tools or maybe a welder. Are they suitable to run a welder for some light duty repair work away from the shop?

quote:Originally posted by SmilinSam

This one is mainly for show, running out to the corners of the farm to run power tools or maybe a welder. Are they suitable to run a welder for some light duty repair work away from the shop?

id="quote">
id="quote">Sam turn up engine speed to 3750 RPM with hydro valves released and generator connected. Then try some welding as the engine should settle in to 3600 + or - a few rpm which equates 60 Hz.Engines for L & G market do not have tight governing so a little bit either way of 3600 RPM is albout all you'll get but should harm the welder.