Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

@#%# Flippin belt !

fishnwiz

This is the story...being a nice guy to a neighbor of mine, I agreed to check out his simplicity regent mower for a problem he was having with a belt slipping on his deck. I looked the belt over and saw that it needed replacement so I ordered another belt, checked the size for a match and installed a new belt. I also adjusted the spring on the PTO rod to remove some slack. The problem is this, I cannot for the life of me get the new belt to keep from flipping over. It seems that as the back side of the belt passes over the idler pulley it twists over on its side. The idler has a good bearing and the belt guard is in place. I did not change anything on the deck and the belt is on the right way. I tried adjusting all of the guides closer to the belt and pulleys and STILL have the same issue?? Any ideas? Could excessive wear in the engine pulley be a factor? The old belt was NOT flipping over or sideways?

you did get same size width belt correct ? is it a simplicity belt ?. sometimes low grade cheap belts will do the flip. you said you adjusted the tension . maybe it's to tight or something is just a little out of alignment.

This is a first for me....A faulty belt! Anyone ever seen that? There is about a 3" section of belt that is twisted and stiff. I grabbed the belt with a section in each hand and when I looped it over and worked my way along the belt, it would twist when it came to the above mentioned section of belt. Now I have seen everything.

Ray...That's funny you should ask...It is a Simplicity belt...Dave's simplicity belt LOL Its an off brand but at 13 dollars delivered, I guess I got what I expected. My fault for trying to save a dime but I hate 40 dollars on a OEM belt.

i was plowing my naibors drive way last winter and blow out my diff. i was helping a guy at work put a drive shaft in and the cap feel off and chipped my tooth.... i still help people but when trying to be nice and help expect something to go worng.

When I was being a nice guy and changing my uncles drive belt I decided that I wouldn't bring my tools to his house, I would just use his cheap tools. BIG MISTAKE!! His ratchet broke and I busted my knuckles. I got 6 stiches for being a nice guy.

OUCH!! That's why Snap-on, Mac, Matco (even Craftsman) stays in buisness...the ratchets dont break (as much) I buy some H-Freight cheapo stuff...But NEVER wrenches/ratchets/sockets wah I had belts roll too, but they were on my snowblower...then I discovered the Simplicity belts are WORTH the xtra cost & dont roll over sm01

quote:Originally posted by curlett

When I was being a nice guy and changing my uncles drive belt I decided that I wouldn't bring my tools to his house, I would just use his cheap tools. BIG MISTAKE!! His ratchet broke and I busted my knuckles. I got 6 stiches for being a nice guy.

id="quote">
id="quote">