Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

best fuel filter

chris87

i have been useing my tractor all year and no issues. other then it not charging but i have parts on order for that. but i dont have a fuel filter and would like to put one in before i have problems. but there are lots of different kinds. so what is the best for these old tractors. it is a landlord 2010 engine is a 1967 so ill assume the tractor is a 67 to. thank you.

NAPA has a number of small inline fuel filters, as does any small engine shop. I think they are all good. I go for the least bulky, and a clear one so I can see fuel and fuel flow.

Briggs has a filter for no fuel pump applications 298090S / 298090 these are rated at 150 micron and have a metal screen on the inside and are small in size, for a couple of bucks. Only drawback they are not clear.

I would highly recommend a fuel cut off valve in line between tank and motor ,easily accessible . After each use turn valve off and run motor dry of fuel to head off problems down the road .I have one on all lawn tractors.

For some reason the few clear filters I used seem to soften or warp...not sure why but I have had a few do just that.Different type of plastic?

I've also seen the clear ones warp, especially if the fuel line is tight/short and the filter become an elbow of sorts. I have also had them cause too much restriction for some of the older carbs to pull fuel through. They will idle, but die when revved. remove filter...no problems.

on my landlords, ive gone to a 3/8 fuel line with a automotive fuel filter, avail at most auto parts stores walmart. found the small engine filters have gone from $3 to $10, tha auto filter is bigger better flow and cheaper.

quote:Originally posted by rm

the auto filter is bigger better flow and cheaper.

id="quote">
id="quote">guess it depends on the filter , but are you sure the auto one's will filter out the fine particles ?

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I've also seen the clear ones warp, especially if the fuel line is tight/short and the filter become an elbow of sorts. I have also had them cause too much restriction for some of the older carbs to pull fuel through. They will idle, but die when revved. remove filter...no problems.

id="quote">
id="quote">I bought a couple clear ones but have not used them yet. around $5 at advanced auto , ill have to watch them when i do. the red ones seem to work. and yes a shut-off valve in all my tractors.

024847900095lg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the Fram G1 from Tractor Supply is $2.99 and comes with 4 hose clamps that fit 1/4 inch fuel hose. Makes a nice install on these machines anyway.

Fram G1 installed.jpg

57e05f1cbe895_FramG1installed.jpg.37966a3f4778e5b57c8e3671aa112fb8.jpg

These are recomended by Briggs. Kohlers have a fuel pump so they can use filter with more resistance to flow. But Briggs being gravity feed recomends the "screen type" filter. I've never had a fuel related problem and used these for yrs...I also tried the clear/white with the pleated paper inside (NOT as nice as the Fram shown above), and mine too warped..? Too much heat? pull?, not sure??

Originally posted by perry
quote:
id="quote">

• 2 years later...

I've been purchasing a clear one from Auto Zone that's a cone shaped filter and it's been used for a year now with no wattage and cost like 5.00 with no flow problems.

totaly recomend the the red briggs filter it is desiened for gravity feed. also an inline shut off before the filter 698183 briggs part. we have had issues with fuel pump desiened fuel filters on several peoples equipment with running out off fuel with the wrong filter or getting airlocks or vapor locks even with a few kohlers with a pump

The red Briggs filters are 150 micron, I believe. Which is a better flow rate on fuel than a 50 - 80 micron filter. Since the fuel pump is pushing fuel opposed to a gravity system that is relying on weight to get it to pass through the filter.

Thanks Ray, I am going to check the specs for the Fram G1. On my setup (Powermax with OEM mechanical pump) the fuel pump is sucking through the filter. I notice there is not much fuel in the filter when the engine is running and figure that is because of the suction side. The engine is running fine and not starving for fuel.

yes micron is differant also the red and white briggs&stratton fuel filters are a screen so you can back flush the filter and clean it or throw it in the ultra sonic cleaner and turn the temp down compressed will blow a hole in it so blow with very very low air psi customer equipment gets new ones my stuff usually just gets cleaned during services

I always used the little red Briggs fuel filters with no problems installed in my gravity fed Broadmoor. Of course I wasn't satisfied so a couple years ago I bought the clear plastic/pleated paper inside. The clear one looked clean but the motor was losing power and just wasn't running good. Turned out the clear one was clogged. I had to remove the filter and sight through it to see the clog. Replaced it with the little red Briggs one, all good.