Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adjusting pressure for hydro lift and transmission

curlett

I am installing a hydraulic lift on my 7116 and I was wondering if anyone knew where to check the pressure for lift and for the transmission. When you install the lift you have to move the charge relief valve from the top of the hydro pump to the side and an implement relief valve takes its place on the top. My understanding is that both relief valves have shims that adjust the pressure to the system they control- one controls the trans and one controls the lift. I know that the thicker the shim is the more pressure it puts out. The charge relief setting is 70-150psi and implement relief setting is 630-780psi. I don't know where to hook up my gauge to check the pressure for each and was wondering if someone could help me out. I'm not exactly an expert on these Sundstrand hydro pumps:D Thanks

I have the gauges but have never used them. I have installed several of these and have just put the correct spring and shims in the correct port without ever having an issue.

If you need the Sundstrand repair manuals just send me an email address in a private message and I will send them to you.

I have the manual and it says to check charge pressure in the port where the charge relief valve is when the lift is installed ( on the side of the pump) but that doesn't make any sense to me. I'm probably just over thinking it anyway, thanks.

It was several years ago when converted from an electric lift to hydro lift, so I hope I remember this correctly. To check the pressures, I temporarily put a "Tee" in the pressure line to the hydro lift control valve for the pressure gauge. (The T was at the pump end of the hose - an easier install and gauge reading)

When the hydro lift control valve is centered (all bypass) the gauge reads the lower charge relief pressure. When the valve is in the raise or lower position, it'll read the implement working pressure.

That makes good sense with what I've read in my manuals, I don't have a tee but I think I can take out the 1/8 pipe thread plug right above the implement line port and get the reading there. Thanks a lot! dOd

Just dont run it with the pressure relief valve removed XX( I would put a tee in the line port to the lift valve...or...like Ray stated, it shouldn't be needed if the proper sized spring/shim is used.

When I check the pressure everything will be installed like you said, all the valves, lines, hoses and everything. Right above the elbow for the line to the lift on the pump itself there is a little plug that you take out with an Allen wrench that I was going to use because it would be easiest for me to hook my gauge up there. I took the plug out and looked through it and right out where the elbow threads in so I think it'll be under the same pressures. It's not a valve or anything, just a plug. I think it should be good there... I hope anyway.

By the way GLPointon your 7010 in tractor of the month looks great, and also those are some nice attatchments. I definitely think the 7000 series tractors are the nicest that simplicity madedOd nice work!