Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Tractor Oil ???

MPH

I have been using Shells Rotellat Triple Protection 15-40 oil for a couple years now in my ole Briggs. Bought a case of 6 at Sams club that says Heavy duty Diesel oil on it instead of just heavy duty oil. My brother said he was told/read/heard not to run oil for diesels in gas motors. Any knowledge on this any one?

Wantting to get my summer tractors changed before I park them for the winter.

Thanks.

tweinke

As long as it has an S* rating that is suitable for your application its ok. So you would find it rated C? and S? on the label. the rating that starts with C is for compression ignition engines (diesel) the S is for spark ignition (gas) Hope this helps in the so often emotionally charged oil debates.:)

perry

good question Marty , I have a chance to get 15w40 in bulk at a cheap wholesale price. they use it in their diesel trucks . reluctant to pull the trigger on the 15w40 until i research it a little better, for now I am still running Rotella 30w year round. I would think you would be using 10w30 or even 5w30 in the winters up there.

Kenh

Actually the diesel oil is more robust than a "gas" oil. It usually has extra additives for "soot" control and extra zinc and phosphorus for wear protection. I use Chevron Delo in all my air cooled stuff. I also run the Delo in my motorcycle (Kawasaki ZRX).

Ken

DanD

As previous post have said, it is fine to run a diesel oil in a gas engine. Any I have ever seen are also approved for gas. To remove any doubt, here is the technical data sheet for the oil in question.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Shell_Rotella_T_Triple_Protection_15W-40_%28CJ-4%29_%28en-US%29_TDS_v1.pdf

MPH

Thanks guys.

The rating I think I saw on both jugs is the same, half a dozen or so all starting with C. Guess they just added the word diesel to the newer jug.

Thought about running Amsoil but since I don't cold start any of them as the ones I need in the winter are kept in the shop I haven't yet done that. I do run Ams in my road rigs year around.