Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Oil ???

MPH

I have been using Shells Rotellat Triple Protection 15-40 oil for a couple years now in my ole Briggs. Bought a case of 6 at Sams club that says Heavy duty Diesel oil on it instead of just heavy duty oil. My brother said he was told/read/heard not to run oil for diesels in gas motors. Any knowledge on this any one?

Wantting to get my summer tractors changed before I park them for the winter.

Thanks.

As long as it has an S* rating that is suitable for your application its ok. So you would find it rated C? and S? on the label. the rating that starts with C is for compression ignition engines (diesel) the S is for spark ignition (gas) Hope this helps in the so often emotionally charged oil debates.:)

good question Marty , I have a chance to get 15w40 in bulk at a cheap wholesale price. they use it in their diesel trucks . reluctant to pull the trigger on the 15w40 until i research it a little better, for now I am still running Rotella 30w year round. I would think you would be using 10w30 or even 5w30 in the winters up there.

Actually the diesel oil is more robust than a "gas" oil. It usually has extra additives for "soot" control and extra zinc and phosphorus for wear protection. I use Chevron Delo in all my air cooled stuff. I also run the Delo in my motorcycle (Kawasaki ZRX).

Ken

I've run 15-40 Rotella in my 712H. The Kohler is a little loose, and it uses less oil with the Rotella than with another brand.

Thanks guys.

The rating I think I saw on both jugs is the same, half a dozen or so all starting with C. Guess they just added the word diesel to the newer jug.

Thought about running Amsoil but since I don't cold start any of them as the ones I need in the winter are kept in the shop I haven't yet done that. I do run Ams in my road rigs year around.