Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engines with no drain plugs

landlord2110

bought a cheap wally world brigss lawn mower found out when got it home it had no drain plug-got to flip bottom side up to drain thru filler hole. put in 16 ounces to full spot & drained it & could only put in 8 ounces in. makes you wonder if your getting it all out.

You're probably not getting it all out. But changing some is better than none. I also have a Craftsman push mower that I have to tip up to drain the oil. I just do it when it's hot and then place some blocks under the thing to make sure that the oil fill/drain is at the lowest corner and let it sit for a few minutes. I can get most of it out if I'm careful with the positioning.

BTW: The engine does have a drain plug. I took stuff apart to get to it once....but it's really not worth the effort.

...Picture the level of the oil in the engine when you're

tipping it on it's side.....Do not tip it too far - all the

oil will come out....After you get used to it, it's preferable

to fighting with a Drain Plug.....

A salesman at work had purchased a JS63 walk behind (John Deere made by Snapper) with the briggs engine and told me it did not have a drain plug. I went over to the showroom and tipped one over and showed him the plug location. He did not want to go to the effort to remove two screws to move the belt gaurd. Many shops use a device that sucks the oil out of the engine through the dipstick tube. I do not have an extractor. When I change oil I do the work and remove the plug. You will get more dirt out.