Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Chroming

OrangeMetalGuy

I have a couple of manual lift levers for large-frames that I would like to have rechromed. Has anyone had this done and what am I looking at for cost?

RayS

I looked into having the chrome wrap around arm rest done for a HB212 one time. Which is longer than your lift lever, but probably about the same surface area. They wanted $95 for that.

sammiefish

you might consider nickel plating... depending on how bad your piece is.

you can get an electroless nickel kit here, pick your kit size on the size of the part/s:

www.caswellplating.com

no electricity needed...

just a thought..

they also offer a chrome kit... its expensive which is why many people so nickel

timflury

I used to have the Eastwood kit. The one I had was a 2qt.? plastic jar.

The tin/zinc will give you corrosion protection, you must polish the surface first if you want to make shiney parts.

The chrome plating process is an art form.

The surface MUST be polished, then the first layer is copper to seal the metal. The copper is then polished again to remove and high spots and imperfections. If needed, the part is plated in copper a second time, and repeated as needed to remove imperfections.

The next coat is nickel, and the same process is repeated just like the earlier copper process.

Finally, after passing another careful inspection, the part is plated in chrome to give it that bright silver appearance.

Nickel plating, as you could already figure out, is simply finishing the piece leaving off the chrome bath step.

I have had motorcycle parts polished and powdercoated in clear. The cost was close to that of plating, but not as much. The nice thing was that I had a heat resistant finish that I could wash with soap and water and it also resisted stone chips.