Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 Brakes

Buttercup

Recently picked up a 1975 Simplicity 9020 Duramax.

The brakes do not work. I adjusted to 1.25" free pedal travel as per owners manual. NG. Looks like operating lever at Transmission does not activate brakes at all.

Anyone done brake job on this tractor? Looks pretty complex. What are the wear points and what parts are normally needed to get brakes operating?

Would greatly appreciate some advice..

I think you mean Powermax (though a diesel one would be great :D).

Anyhow, I don't have one but have read a lot about 'em. I think it's likely the drop housings in the rear have seals that have failed thus you have fluid on the brake linings. I think you have to fix the leak issues and bake the linings to get the oil out.

Someone will be along shortly I'm sure with better and more info. Pics?

quote:Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy

I think you mean Powermax (though a diesel one would be great :D).Anyhow, I don't have one but have read a lot about 'em. I think it's likely the drop housings in the rear have seals that have failed thus you have fluid on the brake linings. I think you have to fix the leak issues and bake the linings to get the oil out.Someone will be along shortly I'm sure with better and more info. Pics?

id="quote">
id="quote">

Try a search under the "search" dropdown, then "search the forums" for brakes topics. The brakes are basically the same set up for the 616, 620, 720, Powermax, 4040, 4041

Because of the leak issues I think many of us with one of these machines (or at least me)don't use the brakes much, they just use the hydro reverse and don't go too fast. I remember there have been postings on how to clean up the brake shoes, replacing the bearings etc. Do you have a repair manual or at least a parts diagram to show how they go together?

New to this stuff so please bear with me if I make an error in the replies.

To both of you that have replied... thanks for you input... I will get to the bottom of the brake issue..

If there are any others who may have a suggestion.. all will be welcome... Thanks

Well I have 3 powermax tractors and all of them have problems with the brakes or at least they had problems. I have went through 2 now and they have the same problem.The seals at the transmission are leaking. You have to take off the drop axels to get to the seal which is behind the breaks.I have baked the disks and the metal parts along with break clean to get some of the oil out.They work better but not great.You will need a manual to know what to take apart and how to get it back together. Figure about 2 to 3 hours to do each side but the more you do the faster you get at fixing them. Good luck.Bob

Buttercup, I run both a 9020 and a 4041 with brakes that are non existant. I never use them, only do as others have said, use the hydro lever to slow, stop and reverse.

Thanks guys for your input.. I'm stubborn so the brake job will commence.. but will happen in the spring when we get back from AZ..