Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42" Single Stage deflector

joelk

I just picked up a 42" single stage blower for my Sunstar. I notice that it has a deflector in the chute. It seems to me that would just help plug up the chute, but wanted to check with others that have experience with it. Should I take it out, or just leave it alone?

i took mine out and still plugged up but it was a wet snow i keep a can of spray pam out in the garage and spray it once in a while, another thing check to see if your shute is rusty if it is sand it down and get a can of spray paint and coat it once it dries wax the heck out of it, then pray for a dry snow that really helps. :D

The "deflector" you're talking about sounds like the guard to prevent you from putting your hand or other large object down into the spinning auger. It's only on the relatively new blowers.

Almost all of the snow blowers that I've seen have the guards removed. But then one should never remove a safety device or jumper a safety switch.......

That's the one I was talking about, but didn't realize it was to prevent hands down to the auger, but that makes sense now. Still wondering if anyone has used a blower with it on with no problems. Hopefully my kids will be using it this winter, so safety is better, but not if it causes the plugs to begin with.

Unfortunately yes, my brand spankin new garage door had a nice dimple. My old Ranger had rock dimples too. Unfortunely you do not see it until its done and in the light of day. You let it stew for a day or two until you get the "aha" moment and realize you did it to yourself...sm00