Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Talntedmrgreen

Unique Non-SimpletrACtor Find-Kalamazoo Xpediter

Talntedmrgreen

I recently brought home a pretty unique find. It is a mid '50's, Kalamazoo Expediter Model 301, built by Kalamazoo manufacturing, about 25 minutes down the road from home here. I had been watching for anything from Kzoo, to have a local piece for restoration and show, and a buddy gave me a shout when he found this...and brought it home with him from a swap meet for me to drool on, and eventually barter for.

20130919_193543.jpg

20130919_193556.jpg

Best I can tell, it's no older than 1953, and sounds like it may only have been produced when ordered by a customer. I have not seen or heard tell of another, and in talking with a few collectors of Kalamazoo Speed Trucks, neither have they. The company was founded in 1883, and primarily survived by building rail service vehicles, and eventually 'Speed Trucks' for use in manufacturing facilities, etc. as maintenance and service cars.

The Xpediter seems to be a purpose built material mover, rather than a HiLo, which would lift and store. It does not lift very high...maybe 2 feet, and has stubby forks, with the tall mast or material support frame. The frame leans all the way back, nearly resting on the steering column. The machine articulates (manual), and is completely hydraulic, with foot hydrostat control. It's a pretty slick machine, and is fully functional and seems to work and drive well (minus the 'spare' tire up front, which was scabbed on after I punctured the original).

http://www.kalamazoo...acturingco.net/

Specs from this catalog show weight for the 301 at 1022#. This machine also has the optional counterweights, and I have no clue how heavy they are. I can tell you, this machine is HEAVY. I slightly caved my 2500# ramps when loading/unloading it. By the book, she runs 7mph fwd, and 5mph rev, and I believe it. It's pretty darn quick! I believe it is Wisconsin powered.

http://www.kalamazoo.../expediter3.jpg

http://www.kalamazoo.../expediter4.jpg

20130920_192820.jpg

20130920_192829.jpg

20130920_192951.jpg

20130920_193004.jpg

20130920_193018.jpg

20130920_192930.jpg

20130920_192922.jpg

20130920_192922.jpg

20130920_193031.jpg

20130920_193047.jpg

20130920_193054.jpg

20130920_193101.jpg

20130920_193117.jpg

20130920_192837.jpg

20130920_192854.jpg

20130920_192906.jpg

Tacey

Neat contraption! Have fun with it.

I once owned a machine which was manufactured in Kalamazoo. A 1964 Checker Marathon. I ran it for about a year in 1974ish. Wish I hadn't sold it.

Talntedmrgreen
quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Thanks Josh, that is cool. I woulda thought it would go higher than that though, bummer.Just curious, what brand are those tires?

id="quote">
id="quote">Yeah...it's definitely purpose-built more as a mover than a lifter. The guts are there to lift though, that's for sure. I've looked her over, and it would be fairly easy to convert for more lift height. Cut a few welds, move things around and reweld. I don't think it would take much, but I'm not sure if I would modify it or not...part of me thinks the rare/cool factor won't decrease if it actually became more functional with mods.I'll peek at the tires again...with the exception of that RH front tire, the other originals are hard rubber. They are either solid or filled, and take no air. The front one was replaced with a tubed tire at some point, and I blew that out when loading it.

pungo

I have a whole shed full of OEM parts for that and... Sorry, my mistake,wrong model.

That is one unique machine,running it in a warehouse with no catalytic converter. Back when men were real, uh.

Talntedmrgreen
quote:Originally posted by goatfarmer

Nice find! Another great KZoo product is Bells beer...^

id="quote">
id="quote">Don't I know it! One of the things I love about Michigan...GREAT breweries everwhere. Im 30 minutes from Bells and 25 from Founders. Double Trouble.

ZippoVarga

Incredible score Josh! I don't see a Deutz 920 in your collection to go along with the 7790!!! I know a guy who knows a guy who is looking for an L-12 loader who has a 920...hint hint! lol Seriously would love to see the extensive collection you've got there!! Great score and addition to the fleet! That will certainly come in handy when mounting and dismounting implements!! Cheers! And...Thanks for the Thermometer!!

Talntedmrgreen

I sold my 920....its still in the club, just not taking up space in my shop anymore! ;)

Actually, the 515 loader there is headed down the road too. Diversifying my portfolio you could say...the shop will still be just as full, and there wont be any fewer loaders when its all said and done. sm01

pungo

With the right tires and longer forks that would be excellent for a portable storage building move. I had to move an 8by8 building rolling it on pvc pipes, sure wish I had one of those.

Sign in to follow this