Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
highspeed

Getting ready to paint: What degreaser do I use?

timflury

I scrape off the heavy stuff with a putty knife, then pressure wash with soap. Simple Green and Purple Power work well. I spray on the soap at full strength, let it soak for about a half hour, then power wash.

I have also used Gunk Engine Degreaser in the spray can.

rokon2813

Awesome Brand household cleaner. Don't dilute it and use it straight. Spray it on, let it sit a bit wash off.

I keep a spray bottle in the garage all the time. Handy for any small part quick and works great as a waterless hand cleaner too.

Burntime

I clean it up and simple green it. If its a touch spot I hit it with brake clean and repeat. I know, I am lazy:D Oh, and a presure washer was a must to clean it off after scrubbing. Prep is the most important.

perry

gallon of Kerosene is cheap and go's a long way and works great. put it in a spray bottle and let the engine soak for a bit after you get the heavy grime off. i wipe everything down with Lacquer thinner right before paint.

BLT

When I had my wash tank from Safety-Kleen, it was mineral spirits as the preferred cleaner. But you could wash only some many pieces before the cleaning power was concentrated with sludge.

highspeed

Thanks for all of the replies. I will give it a good cleaning this weekend and see what I got. There seems to be a good amount of grime on my axles. I am wondering if my transaxle is leaking. We will se once I get it all cleaned up.

Thanks.

GLPointon

ALL OF THE ABOVE...anything to get it clean...

But then I sand as needed, then clean with mineral spirits before the primer goes on.

Mineral spirits/acatone/thinner/etc is needed because even a hand print will leave oils on the metal that can mess up the paint. Plus it "softens" the paint & dulls shine so the primer can adhere better.

Good luck sm01