Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bbrennan

Simplicity 700 Transaxle Bearings

bbrennan

While inspecting a significant leak from my transaxle I discovered that the axle bearings are shot and need replacement. A simple seal replacement won't do the trick because there is slop in the bearings.

Have any of you performed a bearing replacement on a 700? If so, do you have any advice to share before I begin the tear down?

ReedS

On the Simplicity 700 there are bushings instead of bearings if you have the original transmission. You will need to tear down the transmission in order to replace the bushings. There will most likely be wear on the axle tube as well. You'll also need a trans gasket as well as the seals and bushings. These transmissions are very easy to overhaul, the hard part is remembering where all the washers go. Good luck!

bbrennan

Thanks ReedS. Do you know if there is a transaxle gasket/seal overhaul kit available for the 700...so I can buy everything I need in one shot? Also, if there is excessive where on the axle tube, what is the fix? I would imagine that new replacement axle tubes are not available.

And one more thing...do you know if anyone has ever replaced the bushings with roller bearings? I would guess that the roller bearings last longer.

ReedS

Bill, there is no "kit" to speak of, to my knowledge anyway. You'll basically need the gasket, axle seals and bushings. There are also two other seals that you could replace if you so desired, those being the input shaft seal and the brake shaft seal. If you have a manual there would be a parts breakdown in it. I don't think you can just replace the bushings with bearings, I believe the case halves would need some machining, I've never really compared later to earlier to know for sure. Axle tubes are still available for some models not likely to be a shorty like the 700's. I'm there'll be others who will chime in on this.

JimDk

As an alternative repair, you could look for a later transaxle and do a swap. The 3 speed transaxles from later models would fit with minor changes. Parts tractors come in handy for repairs such as yours.

Kenh

There is a process where molten metal is "sprayed" on the worn surface, then machined to the correct diameter. The process minimizes warping. You will have to check with your local larger machine shop.

Ken