Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor of the Month October

osenga

Place your tractors for the Tractor of the Month ( October)

JCPenny,Duetz Allis, AGCO,75th Anniversary,and GTH and GTH-L sovereigns. up to the model year of 2001

1. For club (paid) members only.

2. Allis, Homelite or Simplicity badged tractors are eligible.. Later on, other tractors will be allowed.

3. The selection committee will determine each monthly criteria.

4. They can be a restoration, an original, a rescue, a modification, an extensive repair/rebuilt - as called by the committee.

5. Narrative and pictures are required - to tell its story, and why it is deserving of being the Club's tractor of the month. Tractors that do not meet theme criteria will be removed by the comitteee.

6. Members can enter a tractor multiple times (months), but it can only win once per year. Once they've won, they cannot submit it again for a year on any subject.

7. Each contest will have four week submission period followed by club membership voting for a two period after that. When a winner of that period is announced a new subject will be presented.

8. At the end of the year, we will have a separate contest of the previous winners for Tractor of the Year, with a bigger prize.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added by Kent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is now open for members to enter their own tractor. The newly-formed committee will determine future categories.

Post your entry as a reply to this topic, with pictures and a story -- sufficient to convince club members that it is deserving of being the club's Tractor of the Month.

Please post only entries/nominees in this topic -- any other replies will be deleted.

Once the nomination period is over, this topic will be locked, and members will be asked to vote on the nicest tractor listed in this topic.

deal10.jpg

I guess that I will enter my Deutz Allis 916H. I restored this four years ago. I have always like the Spring Green color. So, I set out to find one. I got this from Craig Garbers in Ohio. I know the engine isn`t a Kohler 16hp, but I put a new Briggs 16hp in it at the time. It is now up to 17 hours on the hour meter now and have been using it lately to till with. Below is the link to the restoration. I think it turn out really well for my first ever paint job. I have since added power steering to it. My wife still can`t stand the color:D.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=105355&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=deutz

deal10.jpg.ed28a668dcb27aa1d579706f83190a03.jpg

Whats the contest for?.. everything?.. or just 3300, 3400, 7000, 7100 , soveriegn series styles regardless of brand?

The opening write up isnt too clear apparently..

And......enter Zippo stage left! lol......I can only assume that this is my one shot at putting my 920 Deutz into the TOM. So...First the photos.

920A.jpg

920B.jpg

920C.jpg

920D.jpg

920E.jpg

920F.jpg

920G.jpg

920H.jpg

It started with a 2 week old CraigsList add. "Danco Snow Cab" listed in the "General" category. I called the number, hoping that the cab hadn't already been grabbed up. Lady Luck was on my side! So, after talking with the gentleman, I found out that he was working for Allis Chalmers at the time of the partnership with the German company and that he also had the tractor that the cab was made for. So, a few houses down (He's a landlord with a bunch houses near Ball State University), he opened the garage door to reveal a few goodies. Long story short......We struck up a deal and along with the DanCo cab I purchased a few days earlier, I came home with the 920 Diesel that hadn't ran in over 8 years, a Deutz colored "Leaf Vac" trailer and a set of Good Year 26x12x12 ag tires mounted to custom 12 inch wide wheels.The garage that the 920 was in caught fire and everything in the garage was covered by a nasty coat of black soot. The 920 didn't suffer any damage in the fire. Just took a lot of elbow grease to bring the paint back as best I could. A few hours of coaxing....The diesel came to life with a mighty growl. The hour meeter shows roughly 925 hours and as can be seen in the photos, I've replaced the completely roached seat pan for one in much better shape (Thanks to BiggieRat). As can be seen, every lever and the dash have been Chrome Plated. As the story goes, the previous owner was given the 920 after it was used for a couple years at the dealership he had worked for. I am still trying to verify his story that THIS 920 Diesel is serial number 10,001 and was the first tractor produced with the partnership with Deutz. I've learned that all of the green Deutz tractors had already been painted Orange, so to get the production line up and running, the orange frames and components were simply painted over with the green. This is also very evident on my 920, with tell tale orange peeking through here and there. The cab is really a well made cab with 5 lights (2 front and 3 back when you include the red marker light. Also, it is equipped with a fan to keep the windshield free of fog, electric windshield wiper and a stereo! The cab has its own running boards that mount to existing running boards on the 920. It mounts to the seat pan bolt holes and uses clasps to lock it down to the running boards. Just un-clip the two clasps and grab the two handles welded to the back of the cab to tilt it back onto its built in kick stand (The black rod running vertically on the right side of the cab in this photo) Ignore the leaning....the tractor is on uneven ground.

920J.jpg

I believe this cab and tractor combination was built in 1984 and sent to a dealership near me in Muncie Indiana. The saga continues in my search for more concrete evidence supporting the claim that this is number 1 (since the ID tag is missing)and the first tractor off the line where the partnership went public. I thank Bryan Osenga and BiggieRat for helping me to locate parts needed to make the tractor a little more implement friendly. In this photo, you can see the leaf vac and the 26x12x12 Good Year Ags in the background between the steering wheel of the 920 and the boat motor against the back wall.

920I.jpg

Grinchy inadvertently named my 920 in an email conversation and the 920 is now referred to as "Lady Lime"....quite fitting a name if I do say so my self!!! Thanks Wayne!!Thanks for checking out the Deutz 920!!

920A.jpg.51a0607f085ab05dacaf6367345681af.jpg

920B.jpg.73a83ced045e7ffef2950e5e9e21a320.jpg

920C.jpg.3290f2e98e0ac4f6d1db883be2da6d8f.jpg

920D.jpg.e636134ed36d7e55f494e2dc533081e8.jpg

920E.jpg.111145b303fb58a5fcebbf660c146025.jpg

920F.jpg.3eea8036fe8fcf50aadbd73cfc21dcc4.jpg

920G.jpg.6163373bafb456d91f440de1268d2c61.jpg

920H.jpg.32acb5291d77446869327507149c703b.jpg

920J.jpg.c88f3c742a39ae430175094a06f816d9.jpg

920I.jpg.7825dfc19073657f092c56bccf1de64f.jpg

Wayne, and all club members,

This month is for the Sovereign tractors. So ARDISAM tractor will not be in the voting. The sunstars will get there.

• 2 weeks later...

I will like to put in the voting my Deutz Allis 919 Hydro. I bought it as a 916 with a 48 inch deck from AC712H, and put a 16 kolher in it. Then I had a chance to restore the tractor. But, I didn't want the 16 anymore. So I decided to make into a Deutz Allis 917 or 919. Brett was telling that he had a KT19 that wanted to get rid of, so I bought it from him. Then, I went ahead and restore from black and green to all green and bought 919 decals from Corey. I do like that Spring Green color. Now, I have to get the deck restore for it.

mini-IMG_20131016_165422_150.jpg

mini-IMG_20131016_165433_156.jpg

mini-IMG_20131016_165422_150.jpg.f66d7f5cfecea616741cfdf7e10dcdfc.jpg

mini-IMG_20131016_165433_156.jpg.646760fbc21f5d6a91bd281421b04480.jpg

More green...I'll throw up my 917 DA repowered with a new olds stock M16. Restoration and paint job was done a few years back , so its gettin worn again. Had the paint mixed and sprayed it with a gun.Bought this one from a friend of the kids for $300. Sold the runing KT out of it for $350.^ Then bought a old blue Sears from another of the kids friends who was trying to put the M16 in it but wouldnt work because the M16 was spec'd without a PTO shaft. Paid $300 for that and sold the tractor & 3 point out in parts for $300, keeping the engine for myself to put in this Duetz.:DSince I had no money in the tractor at this point other than paint and odds & ends, I bought a nos power steering kit from a local dealer for $800. Well worth it toodOdAlso bought a nos Actual Deutz Allis 900 series cab from Biggie Rat along the way for around $300. Again, well worth the money.Been a really great tractor and is the main blowing rig for out here on my 600' lane in the winters.Heres some shots of it wearing different "clothes" ..

DSCN0158_zps18c269f4.jpg

002-2.jpg

Sorry about the wild chrome light..its all I had at the time I installed it:o)

DSCN0179.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

I'll be honest, Ray and Ardisams tractors were restored with alot greater attention to detail than mine, but I couldnt resist adding another green one to the contest;)

Wow guys! I know I won't be voting for Lady Lime, but it'll sure be difficult to decide between you guys. Although not a big fan of the green, these restored machines really make the green look great! I don't know the fate of Lady Lime yet, but if she stays on the ranch, I'll be sprucing the old girl up for sure! Last restore I did was in 2007, so I'm due to pick a project.

Ryan, Sam and Ray...you all three beautiful examples that show me the potential of my ugly duckling. Best of luck to all three of you!!