Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

90's Sovereign issue

EdFromMason

Seems my dad is sending another simplicity my way. This time it is his last new one he bought. I think it is about a 1990-93 model Sovereign. this one it complete. How ever I can not get it to run. I replaced the seat switch and the PTO safety switch on it as my dad told me to. He already had the parts. But all it will do is turn over and may be run for a bit then it die's. Won't even turn over. After that it will not do anything until it sits for a while. It is almost like someone took the battery out of it.

Any ideas ?

Well, I would rule out nanny switches since it run and then dies. Could be a lot of things..

Dirty carb or short causing the 20 amp breaker to trip. Is it a garage kept machine. Do you have good fuel flow from the gas tank? Clean fuel? Bad fuel pump? possibly a fuel shut off solenoid if new enough to have one.

What is the Mfg. No. or product number. It will start with 169. That will be a big help to get started.

The product number is 1692143. Is there a way to test the starter solenoid. It has been garage kept ever since he bought it new. Fuel is new and clean. My dad told me it was running just fine but it all of the sudden died out and would not start.

That has the Command then with that product number. It wouldn`t be the solenoid either if it starts and dies.

If you click on my name or profile and under cool links. I have a link to the large frame repair manual. It shows how to test all the electrical gizmos.

I would remove fuel line from carb and check fuel flow from tank.

The issue with it not wanting to turn over after it quits seems strange

is there any battery power at all?

do the headlights work?

I am thinking problem with battery itself or the battery leads.

if you had some test light that you could hook up.

and while tractor is running, the light would be lit.

then when it dies. Does the light quit before the tractor?

Ok I am going to head on out to the barn and try a couple of things to see if I can come up with more information. I took the battery out last night and placed it on the charger. I am also going to check the fuel flow on it as well as well as looking over some of the wires.

Ok gas flows extremely well from the tank thru the filter and into the pump. Found a couple of bare spots on the wires going to the head lights. all of the other wires look good. Battery is testing out good. I am going to due a tune up on it as the plugs and air filter are bad. I see no light coming thru the air filter. I hope the head light wires are the issue. I will post an update in a few hours. My main issue is it will turn over and some times it will start other times it will only crank. Either way it will only do this once then everything dies on it and it acts as if it has a dead battery.

Well got the tractor running. I took all of the electrical connections apart. Cleaned and placed electrical grease on them all found some bare wires going to the head lights. Redid the harness for the lights got one light working and the other not. Bulbs are good. Now new problem the rear end makes a winning sound after it has warmed up. I don't know if things are out of adjustment or what is going on there. Looking at books and hoping that it just needs adjustment as it dose creep a bit while in neutral.

Thank you Ray for all the help along with everyone else.

I have a whine to my rear end gears. Not the differential, and not the Sundstrand pump, but the rear end axle drive gears. Been that way for years, so I just keep my fingers crossed. The pumps do whine on almost every tractor I have ever had. Comes with the hydro territory me thinks.8D

Well got the tractor all fixed and it operates like a champ. Down side the mower deck no longer works. Think the spindles are shot. You can hear them spinning but both outer blades don't spin. The center blade spins just fine. the belt is still in one piece. They was making a lot of noise. Noise stopped and so did they.

Thank you for the help.

Ed. Under the covers on the deck is a secondary belt. There is the drive belt from the tractor PTO to the center spindle pulley. Then there is a drive belt under the deck covers that drives the other two blades, driven by the center blade. There is also a spring loaded idler pulley. The noise could be from many things. Do the two outside blades turn freely by hand? Do they wobble? A bad belt or a belt going bad can make a lot of noise, as can a bad idler pulley. If both outside blades are not turning, you have either a belt or idler pulley failure. Bad spindles can cause that, but the belt must have let loose.

Also a frozen idler pulley pivot shaft will cause a belt to break as it no longer keeps a constant tension on the belt, a problem often overlooked.