Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cracked Float Repair

Steve72

Hi All---found the problem with TractorChicks leaky carb---very small crack in the float. Removed and it was 1/2 full of gas. Is there anyway to repair these? Drill a small hole to get the gas out and then solder or JB weld the hole?---or just buy a new float? I have a 10 HP Briggs that came with the B10---would that float fit in the 16HP?

Thanks for your help!

I would just replace the float and not try to repair it, they are pretty inexpensive to buy. Not sure if the float from a 16hp would interchange with a 10hp, wouldn't take long to take it out and check.

Thanks Tony---stinks not knowing where to get Briggs parts in my little town. I just saw a YouTube where the guy opened the soldered hole on top of the float and poured the gas out, then re-soldered the whole and the crack too. Looked pretty easy. He then dipped it in hot water---looking for bubbles---to check his work. Gotta love YouTubers!!

quote:Originally posted by Steve72

Thanks Tony---stinks not knowing where to get Briggs parts in my little town. I just saw a YouTube where the guy opened the soldered hole on top of the float and poured the gas out, then re-soldered the whole and the crack too. Looked pretty easy. He then dipped it in hot water---looking for bubbles---to check his work. Gotta love YouTubers!!

id="quote">
id="quote">yep get fixing it ^ i have a few floats repaired that way.

you can find the floats on ebay for about 12-15 with shipping. the new ones from briggs are plastic. you can still find the old brass ones on ebay. i tried to fix one a long time ago, only lasted a few months. for as cheap as they are its not worth messing with.

I've tried to fix one with JB weld and it just wouldn't hold up. Reassembled and put on engine, fired it up and was still couldn't get adjusted. Disassembled again and found JB weld had already started to disolve. Got out soldering iron and repaired and that fixed it.

quote:Originally posted by cojomu

I've tried to fix one with JB weld and it just wouldn't hold up. Reassembled and put on engine, fired it up and was still couldn't get adjusted. Disassembled again and found JB weld had already started to disolve. Got out soldering iron and repaired and that fixed it.

id="quote">
id="quote">Same with me...tried both solider and JB..Both a waste of time..buy them on Ebay

X2...i have fixed several and the headache of adjusting a now, heavier float, just isnt worth it. In a pinch, do it....good soldering practice....but for long term, just replace it.

quote:Originally posted by perry

order a new one just in case , but fix the one you have now to get tractor back up and running ;).

id="quote">
id="quote">Yuppers!!Fix the old one, order a new one and if the problem resurfaces, then just to the swap.