Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10 Runs Wide Open

Steve72

OK---got the float soldered and carb back together...started right up--no leaks! Now it won't idle down. The arm coming out of the bottom of the engine (underneath the carb) that has the throttle linkage and springs attached to it has to be held down for the engine to idle. I double checked all the springs and linkage and everything seems to be in the correct position. Is something inside broken?

Since my glass is always half empty---I'm assuming I have internal governor issues with the B10 vs linkage hooked up wrong. On a Briggs 16HP---is the gov a mechanical (weights) or fan controlled? Just curious on how big a deal it will be to pull the engine and investigate why it doesn't work.

Thanks Greg! Ive been searching for an image or manual on this site and others for a shot/image of the internal governor workings to no avail. Also been to YouTube checking out Zippos videos but can't find anything yet. Removing the pan doesn't sound to bad---probably easier than removing the side cases. Will keep looking!!

Solder on a float will almost always throw adustments out of whack. The extra weight on the float will adjust fuel flow differently. If you have another float just to try out, give that a shot.

Will do Josh---and thanks again for the manual Ray! I will commence teardown soon and post what I find. Pretty sure it's the governor (internal parts) causing the max revs as I can feel absolutely nothing trying to move the gov arm while the engine is running. On my HB212 I feel resistance (not from the springs) when I try to move the arm either direction when the engine is running...clue? I hope so.

Hello Steve,

Just my 2 cents, but may be useful.

I was up against a simmilar problem on a 725 that was tinkered with beofore I got it.

With engine off, the throttle control should pull the throttle wide open, and the govenor is supposed to pull the throttle shaft back towards idle.

The faster the engine turns, the harder the govenor pulls back towards idle, and when it bogs down the spring opens the throttle back up.

There is supposed to be a balance between the two forces when the engine spins at the speed desired by the throttle setting.

It's possible that the throttle shaft is turned 180 degrees from the original so the govenor pulls it the wrong way.

I also understand that early vs later carbs may be setup the opposite way and swapping parts can lead to bass ackwards operation.

I seriously doubt that just taking the carb off caused a problem inside the case, I'd go through the stuff that was attached to the carb a few momre times before digging inside.

Thanks Bob and Roger---yep saw this and checked my set-up against it...everything is correct to this video. I go back to NOT feeling the governor trying to push the arm down towards idle when the engine is running---this can't be right.