Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fobs

BLT

Although not garden tractor stuff, A-C was a player for awhile in the construction field. And my dad being a "cat skinner" for years would come home with related watch fobs as there were constant demos by sales people and fobs were handed out. The crawler is a 50's HD 20, the scraper 60ish version sometime after they bought LaPlant Choate and finally the grader somewhere in that same time frame.

fobssml.jpg

Fobs.jpg

• 3 months later...

those graders are awesome i remember when i lived in fl. when they still had limerock roads they used them periodically to smooth out the potholes it was neat when i was a kid to see them at work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, but I have a theory about these fobs. I have the crawler, complete with OEM leather strap.

It is my contention that these key/watch fobs are designed to hang the keys inside your pocket with the decorative metal part hanging over the outside rim of the pocket for, a. ease of grabbing and removing the keys/watch, and b. a visual ad piece.

Seems to be an extension of the cowboy era tobacco pouch with the drawstring's tag intended to hang outside the shirt pocket for easy retrieval of the pouch, and to advertise the tobacco's brand.

FYI, there is a site on the 'net that fabricates new, replacement leather straps.

• 2 weeks later...

Really cool treasures, Bob. I really treasure those type of things that I have of my Dad's.

Tommy - think you might be correct on the usage. My Dad had a "dress watch" fob that would hold his regular pocket watch when he put on a suit or dress pants and would hang outside his pants pocket.