Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Copyright??

mowerman1193

Just asking is anyone knows who I could contact for information on using the A-C logo to make wooden Christmas ornaments to sell? I have designed and made a prototype of the ornament I would like to sell..but I need legal permission from ( My Understanding ) Allis Chalmers Energy is the owner of the copyright. I have read elsewhere online that they pretty much don't care about the use of the older logo.. but I would just like to ask and be sure rather than to be sorry..

Based on how many of these I sell for the Wheel Horse guys I cannot imagine I would sell many A-C ones than that of the Wheel Horse ones..Though A-C has the whole farm tractor enthusiast too so there could be more of them sold..

I get asked all the time to make certain copyright stuff but I am not willing to stick my neck out there for a $10-100 item..and it hardly makes it worth the effort to look into legal permission for a half dozen items etc..But I have been asked to make some of these by more than a few people and I would like too but....

Any leads are much appreciated

Kevin

I sent Kent a PM but have not heard back from him yet.

Well I cannot seem to find any contact info to who could give me permission to use the logo so the three of these I made will just hang on my tree. I tried to use the contact link on the allis lawn tractor site only to have it say I do not have permission to submit the contact on their server, LOLLike I have said before it is not worth hours of time trying to get into contact with someone to sell 20-30 ornaments with their logo on it.Anyway here is what will be on my tree this Christmas..or until I can get into contact with someone from the company to give permission to make and sell them.

AC31.JPG

AC31.JPG.803e415335f8d7bc882027c8c2ee79fe.JPG

Thanks Perry for the comment, Just a small update I did get through late last night on the allis lawn site. Not sure if the first time it was a glitch or what, anyway we will see where that will lead.

The thing with decals is that these guys can buy CD's with millions of logos clipart etc.and then pay a ( I forget what it's called ) royalty fee on all those images at one price through one place to produce decals, and it is pretty cheap to.. I have a friend trying to start up a sign shop so I know a little how that goes..

I might contact the people that the sign shops use and see if I could use them Cd's and pay the fee for my woodworking..I believe it is geared for decals..

Thanks for the lead to Corey I may contaim for some advice or leads.

I would not worry any about the laws pertaining to this. It takes a lot of money to sue someone, and if you are making only a tiny amount of money on this, no one will sue since there is nothing to sue for.

Also, seeing your design, it could easily be argued that your version is an artistic interpretation.

Dan

Dan you are 100% right...But I guess I always like to do the right thing. Using the logo without permission is also the same thing as stealing. Whether or not they care is not my call it is theirs.

Being a wood artist I design and create a lot of cool things and some are not always my design, but I have permission to use them. In todays day and age it is too easy to steal an image and not even realize your doing so. I have most of my own designs copied by another wood artist and it really ticks me off..But since I am just a small time artist I cannot afford to copyright etc etc. and for the most part if the ones stealing my ideas and copying my work would ask I most likely would give permission...its those that copy my work and do not ask that gets my blood pumping. They steal my work and compete with my prices when I have all the artwork time involved in designing / making it.

I will wait to see if I can hear something back from Allis Chalmers site.

Do what you think is right.

Remember tho, in this day and age, if a company allows the use of anything it owns to another, it creats a liability for them. Likely the approvals that you do get are not from those who have the athority to approve anyhow.

I design industrial machinery and have created numerous patents for processes. I also see my designs stolen often, including by China, I get over it.

quote:Originally posted by CleanBee

Remember tho, in this day and age, if a company allows the use of anything it owns to another, it creats a liability for them. Likely the approvals that you do get are not from those who have the athority to approve anyhow.

id="quote">
id="quote">You make a very good point here, because I don't think the person I spoke with at Toro for the Wheel Horse stuff I make was the right person after talking with others about it or the past couple years. I also have not heard a thing from Allis web site so maybe that email didn't even go through.For the small amount I would (most likely) be selling I do not think there would be any problems. I will probably be listing some of these ornaments on my site in a few days.. I will probably design a desk clock later too..Those where a big hit for Wheel Horse guys..Thanks for all the comments and suggestions,