Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

725 chassis and 16 hp Briggs comparability ?

rickpilgrim

I have 2 725 chassis laying around but only 1 politically correct engine that's off a model W walking tractor. The first came to me yrs ago and I went through it and other than to red of paint only needs an engine. It will never be a true 725 though as it has a newer (simplicity 2012?) trans but is a 1962 with electric start.

Number 2 is a manual rope start model, has all correct everything even wheels and is more correct for a model 19 Briggs engine. I would use #1 for the swap.

The 16 hp Briggs I have is a lift out from a 3416h I am parting out. Is this an easy swap or am I going to break more parts by doing this and go 10hp engine?

The 16 won't break anything per se, but you'll have to modify the grille support,hood and frame for it to fit. Personally not a big fan of this swap, but it's not my tractor.

Does anyone have any pics or ideas on what's involved here? The reason I ask is my brother had a 725 back in our garden tractor pull days that came with a 10 hp Briggs model 23xxxx and it fit like a glove, with 2 little notches cut in the lower grill for the mounting feet and that's about it. Later he swapped a 16 from a 7016 in it but by that point all the sheet metal, stater generator, and every other unnecessary bit of anything was stripped off of it. In the end the bgb lost the gear teeth but that bgb was sloppy to begin with. Now the 16 looks very close to the 10 in size side by side so....

I think you may have to cut part of the frame below the engine flywheel housing, a 16 hp is a little larger that the 7-1/4 hp 19d engine. I removed the steel bars that lifted the engine. jh

If we just have to cut the triangle shaped hole like our 2012 has in the flywheel area that's not a problem, I would probably use some 1/2" round rebar around that hole for strength. I'm really not that concerned about that as the trans is like the 2012 one with a full width axle tube and a stamped brake drum unlike the other 725. Thanks for the help everyone!

From a point of was it was hp/trans wise when new compared to we're I end up with it then yes a total beast. From my view an assemblage of assorted parts to make a machine much like the AC 716 in a short wheel base version able to run our 42" rear tiller or 42" front snowblower in a shorter/smaller footprint machine...

many years ago I installed a 16hp Briggs into a 725 Simplicity and cut the notch in the frame for the shroud clearance, raised the rear of the hood about an inch or two and did some minor notching on the sides of the grill. This tractor was a beast at the tractor pulls and many times regret selling it after I removed the engine. I say go for it!8D

Dan

Here's another dumb question, what yr/model did simplicity change from the 725 style hood to the 2012 style frame, or could you put a 725 hood assembly on a newer frame like a landlord 101 frame that's been offered me.