Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ray - Kohler Head Gasket update & question

mroman59

I checked the websites and My Kohler CV740-0024 , build date 2004, head gasket is part no. 24-841-04S replaces 24-841-03S, and sellers on eBay are stating that its NEW IMPROVED HEAD GASKET MATERIAL SO NO MORE MORE NEED FOR NEW STUDS OR HEAD BOLTS. So my engine is like yours, i.e. poor original design.

I have the opportunity to buy a whole engine gasket kit for a little more than the head gasket kit X 2. The whole engine gasket kit does not have any nuts, screws , just gaskets, o-rings etc.

Questions:

1.Since Kohler recommends replacing these nuts, I was wondering if I could buy these nuts at the local hardware store?

2. Do you know why you need to replace the nuts if you don't have to replace studs or head bolts?

3. Will I need new rocker cover gaskets and screws too? If so, that's why I was wondering it might be better to get a whole engine gasket kit and buy new nuts, screws , etc. from hardware store.

Thanks

Mike

The head gasket was an inferior design. I don`t think the engine is a inferior design. I would by the head bolts from Kohler and replace the valve cover gaskets since I had to remove the covers. the valve cover bolts can be reused.

The head gasket was an inferior design. I don`t think the engine is a inferior design.
id="quote">

Thanks, looks like the valve cover gaskets are actually O-rings

The newer engines have O-rings. I think I would only replace what ever the manual states as far as bolts. I have no idea as to why they want the head bolts replaced unless it is fatigue or stress issue of the head bolts.

Ray, a lot of times bolts with specific torque specs are tension bolts. They're intended to stretch a tiny bit as they're tightened. This only works once, maybe twice, and then they lose their elasticity and need to be replaced or they'll work themselves loose.

quote:Ray, a lot of times bolts with specific torque specs are tension bolts. They're intended to stretch a tiny bit as they're tightened. This only works once, maybe twice, and then they lose their elasticity and need to be replaced or they'll work themselves loose.id="quote">
id="quote">

According to the new gasket information, one can use the old head bolts. Before the new gasket came out it was recommended to replace the bolts. The bolts are actually referred to as screws in the parts diagram. The kit does not come with head bolts but it does come with nuts for those engines that have studs in them. Since the head gasket kit does not come with the bolts, I will call my simplicity dealer and ask the mechanics what they would do. Those guys are pretty nice and helpful.

Ray, I removed the cylinder head that had the sooty plug. The other remains on for now. I have to order the kit and I think it will be cheaper to buy the whole gasket kit set, especially if I need to order O-rings.

I examined the head gasket and could not find and pencil like marks. I will take it in to the mechanic for his opinion just for the heck of it. I will be replacing both since I have the engine apart.

I have a few questions:

1. I noticed that the head gasket had the numbers facing outward. A you tube video stated that "he" was told by mechanics to always place the numbers inward, but he did not know why. Have you heard of this and what is your experience?

2. What is the best way and solvent to use to get all the carbon off the valves and piston.

3. I marked the intake and exhaust rods for identification. Do you know if they are made of the same material? On Briggs engine I had and removed the cylinder head it was apparent that the rods were different in the material they were constructed of. On this Kohler I cant tell a difference.

Thanks,

Mike

I paid to have mine done as stated in the other post, because I didn`t have the time to fix it.

I would put the head gasket on which ever way it was taken off or the manual states. Not sure if it would matter about the number facing in or out. I would remove the carbon with a wire brush. I would make sure I put the push rods back on the same rocker arm.

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=132675